LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
75g Riparium

[3/26/19]
see post for this date for more photos

[2/20/19]
Removed extra Spathiphyllum 'Domino' and added anthurium.

[2/8/19]
I couldn't resist and had to set up a riparium again! Photos from before setup:
two large sponge filters

Pump from 75g that housed tilapia until recent (those little [censor]s broke the tank!)

The smaller shadow caddie in front is the 'large' one I used on my 55g.. the new ones are even bigger! sorry blurry photo, one dog sniffing the caddies, another is pushing me for attention off camera >.<

Coated wire to hang caddies, bought 2 rolls (100ft total) which is good because I used about 60 feet for this (double stranded them and added extra to the larger caddies). Suction cups suck [censor] so much now just putting caddies in tank (nothing in caddie) they fell off! I mean.. really?!

And time to make them black (ignore the pipe behind-for the 55g vivarium project)

Heater from amazon which I really want to flip out on whoever packed.. WHERES MY PADDING?! this is a GLASS heater bouncing lose in a box ugh!!!

After caddies got spray painted black husband cut extra slots in the large ones, sorry no photos.. dangerous process.. but here they are on the tank

The day I finally put plants in I dipped them all in potassium permanganate, I do a stronger bath than most and deep purple to almost black (most keep it pink/light purple) for 5 minutes or so then thoroughly rinse. Had to thoroughly rinse roots clean for most of the plants (peace lily 'domino' was the only one with roots already adapted to water). No photos during this porcess but when putting plants on the tank i realized I went overboard buying pothos njoy.. thats a 22"x16" tub

And Finally done!

[Flora]
Pothos Njoy (thought I may be 'Glacier', or 'Pearls and Jade' ??)
Pothos Golden
Pothos Neon
Potho Marble Queen (tiny piece)
Spathiphyllum 'Domino'
Spathiphyllum x 'Wallisii' (dwarf variety)
Spathiphyllumunknonw variety
Neanthe Bella Palm
Water sprite (just added not in photo)
[Fauna]
None yet, plan to get endlers
[Equipment]
2x sponge filters
whisper 150
airline tubing
ehiem jagar 200 watt (supposedly handles 76-106g)
shower caddies: 3 corner, 1 jumbo, 4 large, and 5 or 6 small

[substrate]
black diamond 20-40 grit

[Hardscape]
1 small rock, unknown type, slightly increases kh

Tank has had plants on it for 6 days. Dosed Ammonia and some ferts first night. After some small water cahnges to get debris off the bottom I re-dosed ammonia yesterday -1ppm- and its at 0.5 ppm today! So I may be bad and not wait the 2 moths for a cycle and just get fish once its consuming ammonia within hours of adding it. Will start with small stock so there's not too much ammonia and let them breed and fill the tank.

Will get better photos as plants establish.

Photo from 3 days after putting them into the tank-pothos root already growing to adapt to water! Should take new photos to show more root growth..

And I wanted to show this 100% white pothos leaf! Its not a dead leaf! Sadly knocked that and a few otehr leaves off when cleaning x.x

Oh and I wanted to share this-its a leaf from the unknown peace lily that's just lovely but different (rest are solid green) a few days later a spathe grew from this leaf (but the leaf is not the spathe!)

~~~~~~~~~~

This is not my first riparian, I had a 55g going for a while before taking it down to use the lights for aquaponics. I wish I hadn't given up my plants... But starting again!
Link to the old tank thread-sorry the photos are all gone thanks to photobucket...[click]

Old photos from the now dismantled 55g:
ScrubbyDick likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-19-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: photo resize
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[2/9/19]
WHAT? WHAT?!
How am I getting this much nitrite in just 1 week? I haven't been able to watch a fishless cycle in a while (tiny particulates in water from water treatment plant being under construction made nitrogen testing impossible for a year+) but I don't recall nitrite showing up this fast and already at 1 ppm.. ammonia at 0 in 48 hours (was 1/2 he dose after 24 hours).

If I hadn't treated all the plants with potassium permagnimate(PP) I'd assume it came from my 'domino' that had roots in water before but PP kills beneficial bacteria so that's out. Everything in tank is new so how's the nitrosomonas bacteria showing up this fast?

Did a 50% water change, dosed ammonia and plant ferts. Also tossed in some water sprite and anacharis for added floating plant cover. Hopefully will get guppy grass and hornwort when I get my endlers for more places for fry to hide and deter jumping. Post w/c photos:

If all the floating aquatic plants survive, once they start overgrowing I'll take some and set up a dirted tank in the windowsill to see how they do. Yes the MTS bug bites again!
tredford likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[2/20/19]
I know my plants will absorb a lot of the ammonia, but I still can't believe I have enough bb formed to deal with the nitrites already! This photo is from yesterday: 0 ammonia and nitrite. I thought I'd forgotten to dose ammonia so did a 1 ppm dose and tested again today-same results. and nitrates are 40-80 from 2 days of dosing. So I think I'm ready for fish!! If only it wasn't below 30F out x.x

Hadn't planned on adding this plant, but husband spotted a really nice healthy BIG anthurium when we were out so I booted my extra peace lily 'domino' to take the corner caddie. Did a potassium permagnimate(pp) dip after rinsing roots. Turns out its 2 huge plants (thought i'd be over 5 smaller ones.

I love using pp for getting rid of pests-usualy do a strong dose dark purple to almost black and put plants in 5 minutes, or 10 if they are too big and stick out pho the water (like these did) and just rotate half way through. You can get it on e-bay easily enough, but wear gloves and cloths you do't care about staining! This is what happens when you handle wet powder (stains for several day):

Anyways have a full tank shot (fts) and some close ups.

And from above

Looking at the photos I realize 1 of the t5 bulbs finally burnt out 9it was an old one) so gotta replace that.

I put the extra peace lily domino up for sale. I also have 2 decent portions of pothos n'joy, and can add wired shower caddies and clay media. You can find my thread in the "for sale" section, or pm me if you'd like to buy any of these.

Currently the 'domino' is in a pot with water and clay media in the bay windowsill. The pothos is on the tank until sold-pothos photos show it in same type of caddie as close up in photo to its left.

Doing a large water change on the tank and dosing ammonia again, then getting in contact with the seller I want to get my fish from to figure out when would be a good time to ship.
tredford likes this.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[2/26/19]
Not much going on-tank still cycled, dosing ammonia every day, water change every 3rd day. Dose liquid ferts maybe once a week. Pothos is taking off and everything is getting roots. I put crushed coral in nylon stockings to raise kh for the future livestock. Not shown in photo but my anacharis is pearling pretty much constantly during lights on.
Immortal1 and tredford like this.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[3/26/19]
Sorry so bad at updating have some photos from last month
'top' and 'bottom' of tank

blurry endlers! (i have fry now! no way I can get a viable photo of them)

deformed palm leaf (still liek this after almost a month)

antherium and dwarf peace lily spathes

marble queen pothos

sold as n-joy pothos but may be glacier or other variation of pothos?

big elafed un-id-ed peace lily front/left, domina in teh back, and some golden/neon/green pothos

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode