The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm trying to start a low-tech 55g tank. I'm trying to decide whether to get the 48" aquasun t5 light or the 48"-60" ml db led setup. I'm trying to stay away from co2 as of right now until I get used to the planted tank scene. From what I've read on here the aquasun will be too bright if placed on the tank. I would hang it but I'm in an apartment and don't want to put any holes in the cieling lol. But on the other hand I've read that the ml db led might not be bright enough. I plan to start out with some low light plants just to get a feel for it. Plus I like the moonlight leds for nightime viewing. Can anyone kinda confirm my thots and maybe point me in the right direction for my low tech setup?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You can just run one bulb in the Aquasun. I don't like it because the mounting legs don't allow you to put glass or plastic tops on the tank, but you can always make a modification with a hacksaw. The reflectors are ok at best (if not lower quality), so you shouldn't have any problems staying low light with one bulb in the Aquasun if that's what you choose to go with. I would choose something else though; you can probably get something much better for you money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but running one light seems like a waste of money when buying a dual fixture lol. Plus the legs were one of my cons about it too. I'm wanting the low light for the sake of not using co2 as to why I'm leaning toward the ml leds. The only thing I'm worried about is will that provide enough light for the plants annd what affect will it have on fish coloration (say will it make neon and cardinal tetras look bright and neon or just blue and red lol)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you really want to stay low tech and are averse to buying 2 bulb fixtures and running one bulb in them, then I would just stay away from anything that says T5HO and is a multi-bulb fixture at all unless you plan on hanging them at least 1 foot above your tank, although another member did a PAR measurement on it using the ultrasun and florasun bulbs and it came out to like 40mmPAR at the substrate of a similarly tall tank I think.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hoppy the Resident Lighting Guru just suggested these to me. I've read good things about the brand. I called them with some questions today and they were very knowledgeable about the product. You can't beat the price, and shipping was only About $10. They are linkable if you ever decide you want more light. I got dimensions on the 24" that I need and the light and reflector will fit inside a regular black plastic light housing.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/sun-blaze-t5-strip-lights-c-321_563.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.