The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 2211 a better choice for a 2.5 gallon? I'm currently running the Zoomed 501, but I'm still underwhelmed with the performance of it. Anyone tried both, and if so, do you have a recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have not tried the zoomed but I have used the Tom rapids mini on 2.5. A 2211 would be a lot of flow for a 2.5. I wouldn't recommend it. Plants wouldn't stay rooted and depending on the species, fish would be stressed. If you want more flow I'd look into a low flow powehead

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Something must be wrong with your zoo med, I have one on a 5.5 and it's perfect.

Do you have a sponge on the intake or something obstructing it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have anything over the intake except the stock strainer that came with it, which is clear of debris. I did try a different setup with the filter media using some leftover Eheim media, see below for example. Is this degrading my flow, and if so, any advice on media setup? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have anything over the intake except the stock strainer that came with it, which is clear of debris. I did try a different setup with the filter media using some leftover Eheim media, see below for example. Is this degrading my flow, and if so, any advice on media setup? Thanks!

Is the can sitting below the tank at all? if it is it needs to be at the same level of the tank.
If that doesn't work I would try it with just the bio rings and sub-pro then see how it is then. Those sponges collect a lot of gunk and need to be cleaned every so often.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

You may want to reverse the large pore sponge and the Eheim substrat pro. This way you will have it set up similar to a 2211 when viewing it upside down.
page 3 diagram B, specifications are on page 29
http://eheim.com/base/eheim/pdf/en/anleitungen/afilter/2211_classic.pdf

The placement would be like this:
- bio-rings
- large pore sponge
- substrat pro
- fine filter pad

This way, the substrate pro would not get as dirty. Plus, it is designed to be used for biological filtration instead of mechanical filtration.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you can afford a 2211 for a 2.5 go right ahead, the Eheim is a much better filter than the Zoo med but if you already own the Zoo med I would try adjusting media first.

I had to clean mine anyway so I took a few pic's

Layers:
Ehfimech
Fine Floss
Substrat pro

The flow I felt was too strong with the spraybar for my 5.5 so I took it off

This is how it sits now...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have both the ZooMed 501 and the Eheim 2211and for your 2.5 gallon tank I think the ZooMed would be best. I've got mine on a four gallon tank and it works great. I use the 501 sponge on the one side and Substrate Pro and just a little bag of purigen on the other. I also use a sponge on the intake as this is on a shrimp tank. When I notice lowered flow rate I tank the intake sponge off and clean it. I think even though the Eheim would have more biological area you would need to throttle the flow back significantly for a 2.5 gallon tank.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
I've used an Eheim 2211 with my 2.5 gal. tank and the flow was way too much. I'm considering getting a Zoomed 501. Zoomed states the 501's output is 79 gal./hr. and the Eheim 2211 states 300 l/h which is the same as 79gal/hr. I've read in some other posts that the Zoomed has less flow than the 2211. Anyone know if this is correct?

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
I've used an Eheim 2211 with my 2.5 gal. tank and the flow was way too much. I'm considering getting a Zoomed 501. Zoomed states the 501's output is 79 gal./hr. and the Eheim 2211 states 300 l/h which is the same as 79gal/hr. I've read in some other posts that the Zoomed has less flow than the 2211. Anyone know if this is correct?
Yes it is correct. I have posted this in many threads and from your query I'm guessing this isn't one of them but, Eheim publishes its flow nil invest with all media in the filter no other brand does this. So the true flow rate of the ZM501 is probably 1/2 to 1/3 of what they say it is. Plus I would bet the farm that the ZM will be flowing 1/2 of even that paultry amount within a week of being set up on the tank because of its poor design being clogged by detritus and mulm from the tank.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Doesn't the ZooMed flow from bottom to top? Do you want the fine filter pad as the last thing the water passes through, rather than first?

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
I'm going to jump on the Eheim bandwagon here. If you can afford it, I think it's the best bet. Primarily because you can easily adjust the flow rate, it's cheap to buy replacement parts and you can use it on a larger tank if you ever decide to do so.

You'll also be able to keep it a bit lower beneath the tank than you would the ZooMed because it's such a powerful filter by comparison.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts