The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone have one of these in the 12" version? If so, would it be possible to take a picture of the underside and post it here? The only pictures I can find of it online are of the outside. I like the way it looks, and might get one to put on top of my 2.5g. I'm getting tired of the desklamp look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mr.Church
I could not find the 12" model of this hood, but I found the 18" one on Dr Foster and Smith.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+6028+21549&pcatid=21549
The 18" one has two bulbs, so I guess 12" one should only house one bulb?
I am looking for a light/hood for my 2.5g cuz I am tired of table lamp as well.
Hopefully someone can give more information on this hood.
:help:

Edit-
Found more information about the 12" one on "thatfishplace"
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/246143/i/7/product.web
It says "one socket"=>one bulb only, but the design should be similar to the 18" model.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but it's 60w incandescent. It should be fine with a ~25w CFL in it. But still, I think I want to retrofit one with an 18w PC from AHSupply. I just wanted to see the underside of one, so I could see what I'd be working with.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edit-
Found more information about the 12" one on "thatfishplace"
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/246143/i/7/product.web
It says "one socket"=>one bulb only, but the design should be similar to the 18" model.
Thanks for looking. I appreciate it. :) But the problem is that's the same picture that comes up everywhere. Even doing google image searches, it's the only pic that comes up. I really want to see the underside of the thing, so I can see the socket, and the amount of space available for retrofitting something else in there.

It would be nice if someone who owned the dang thing would take pictures of it and show it online somewhere. I mean, I did forum searches at every single gardening/aquarium/dendroboard/terrarium type of forums I could find, and still nothing.

No one, outside of the manufacturer's ONE picture they took of it, has ever taken any pictures of this thing. And I've never seen one in a Petco or anything, where I could ask them to open the box and show me.

I might just bite the bullet and order one.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the acronym "CFL" usually connotes those spiral-type screw-in bulbs, and those are not the best bulbs to use. The light gets trapped up in all those coils. So basically, the best thing I could possibly do is use a PC (power compact) bulb with a good reflector (i.e. the ones from ahsupply.com) and retrofit it inside of a canopy or hood of some kind. This Zoo Med hood would be nice, IMO, because it already looks good and is designed to fit on a 12" x 6" frame, like a 2.5g aquarium.

But if I have to, I'll just build a wooden canopy and put the ahsupply fixture in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.