The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TPT!

I have spent the last several weeks reading thread after thread. You all have some amazing tanks!

I have been in the hobby for a number of years, mostly salt water, only recently delving into the fresh world. That is not to say I haven't had FW tanks in the past, even planted tanks, they were just never a focus of mine. They were usually the result of, 'oh hey I have this spare tank sitting around doing nothing' well you get the idea..MTS.

In late September I dismantled my reef system (40B) and replaced it with a new 40B that I planted. I went high tech on the system with CO2, Ferts custom LED lighting, all the fun stuff. The build and design was a lot of fun but over far too quickly. I have had a desire to build a small tank for a long time, originally I wanted to do a shallow reef system. Now that I have the 'green thumb' I decided to do a nice shallow planted tank.

So here is what I have on the way:

- ADA 60-F
- Garden Mat 60cmx30cm
- Archaea Ultra-Gro LED (60cm) - I will suspend above the tank
- 55lbs of Seiryu Stone (not all will be used)
- 60lbs of Brightwell Aquatics Florin Volcanit Rio Escruo-XF (not all will be used)
- ADA Power Sand Special S
- Eheim 2211 Classic 150
- Hydor 200w inline heater
- 5lb CO2 tank
- I will build another CO2 reactor for this tank (have one on my 40B)
- Digital Aquatics RKL (Reef Keeper Lite) will use this to control the tank (RKE is running my 40B)

Things I still need:
- Lily Pipes - not sure exactly what I want to get yet, though glass is a definite.
- CO2 regulator
- Drop Checker (I have a spare but might order a new one)
- Stand - I will probably build a stand to match my bedroom
- Other stuff I can't think of right now.

I have not decided on plants as yet but this will be a traditional Iwagumi style tank. One aspect of the tank I know for sure is I will have at least one stone breaking the surface of the water, my intention is to have terrestrial moss growing above the water, thus the title 'Piercing the Surface'.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a DSM, I guess that will depend on what plants I decide on, well at least what carpeting plant.

That's all for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Box of rocks...

22lbs

14lbs

Bump: Just for the heck of it...

This is my 40B

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dude! This tank looks awesome! Makes me envious my 40B isn't as pretty lol. Can't wait til you get all of your pieces together for this! I'll be watching. Those look like some great stones too, the more options you have the better! You have plenty. Keep us all updated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gorgeous 40B! I'm eager to see what you do with your new 60F!
Thank you! I am excited to do a shallow tank. I am itching to get started!

Nice tank! What is that plant ca shading over the rocks?
Which plant? Pink tips or the back left corner?

Dude! This tank looks awesome! Makes me envious my 40B isn't as pretty lol. Can't wait til you get all of your pieces together for this! I'll be watching. Those look like some great stones too, the more options you have the better! You have plenty. Keep us all updated!
Thanks Mark! I'm rather proud of my little 40B. I can't wait to get the 60F up and running!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good.

Subscribed
Thank you!

Bump: Well I ordered the last few items I needed last night. The only thing I need to do is pick up another CO2 tank.

Waiting for things to arrive is going to make me crazy. I would have to wait and order all of this stuff right before Christmas. DOH!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the stone out of the box (pic above) and took another pic of it. There are some nice pieces in there, though I think I want to pick up a large stone stil.

·
Registered
931 Posts
beautiful scape, you did an awesome job. Love the HC rolling off that rock.

Looks like Monte Carlo if we're looking at the same section.

Can't wait to see the build, I like shallow tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beautiful scape, you did an awesome job. Love the HC rolling off that rock.
vvDO is correct it is Monte Carlo. Thank you very much!

Looks like Monte Carlo if we're looking at the same section.

Can't wait to see the build, I like shallow tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no HC in the 40B it is all Monte Carlo.

I can't wait to get started building the shallow tank!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What all are you waiting for before you begin?
LOL!

All I have right now is the rock. Everything else is in transit.

I got confirmation today from AFA that the tank is shipped and on the way along with the light, power sand, mat and canister filter. I also need to get a new CO2 tank. My lily pipes, drop checker and heater have also shipped. My substrate shipped yesterday. Nothing will be here before next week according to tracking info.

I still need to decide on a stand, I'm leaning towards the same Ikea cabinet that you are using, though I will probably put legs on it to raise it a bit.

So the short answer is I'm waiting on everything to get started :-/

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like a painful streak of patience to me. I do definitely recommend the ikea besta stand tho! Near exact dimensions with the tank so it's almost seamless. The feet for it are a good idea, I wish I did that but I'm still pleased with the results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like a painful streak of patience to me. I do definitely recommend the ikea besta stand tho! Near exact dimensions with the tank so it's almost seamless. The feet for it are a good idea, I wish I did that but I'm still pleased with the results.
Yeah it seems like a lot of people setting up 60cm tanks are using that cabinet. I would normally just build one so it can be custom to my needs but that cabinet appears to be perfect for what I want to do. I just need to get over to Ikea and pick one up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You definitely do, it comes in a wide variety of colors and combinations that make it perfect to fit most people's needs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts