The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first tank. It is a 55 gallon i have 5 danios, 4 java ferns, some wisteria, 3 anubias and some java moss. 75 Degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I used tetra safe start ten days ago (i know this is frowned upon now). My nitrites just hit zero today. My question is should i be worried that i am showing no nitrates?

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's possible that your plants are soaking up enough nitrate to keep your number at zero. If these are all new plants then it is doubtful that is the case.

What did you use as an ammonia source to start your cycle and how much did you use each day?

For the first tank I cycled I added enough ammonia each day to bring the number up to 5ppm. I didn't consider myself cycled until in 24 hours I could go from 5ppm -> 0ppm in both ammonia and nitrites. Of course at that point the nitrates were off the charts but that's not the issue. If you cycled with small amounts of ammonia odds are the plants took care of it as you are creating small amounts of nitrate.

Or your nitrate test is bad. Or you need to shake the living daylights out of the #2 bottle of your nitrate test.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you had nitrites, which have gone, then nitrates must have been made, and are either still there or your plants sucked them up. I also doubt the plants ate all that in 10d...
+1 on shaking the nitrate reagent #2 as above....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know that about the nitrate bottle. The plants have been in there for a couple of weeks. The source of the ammonia was the danios, which I know understand is bad, fishless is better. I got some info here http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php that convinced me to do fish in cycling which I know understand is frowned upon.
You can do a fish in cycle. You just end up doing a lot more water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down with a fish in cycle. Nothing wrong with the way you did it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I highly suggest taking both bottles of your nitrate test and banging them on a hard surface, then shaking them for a minute a piece, then start your test again. It is well documented that the nitrate test will spit out 0ppm if it isn't well shaken.
Interesting. Will this also happen on the Ammonia API test? I was getting rather strange readings the other day. I tried the test on ammonia straight from the bottle, and I was still getting very low readings. But just a few days ago the test was working fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I always give any reagent a quick shake, ammonia, pH even.... but the nitrate reagent #2 is I believe a fine suspension - if you don't shake it, you are dropping out whatever diluent is in there, and none of the active ingredient, which has settled in the bottle..... I've seen a 2000ppm solution of NO3 give a zero reading if the bottle isn't shaken a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts