The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I have spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to take pictures and upload them to this thread. This is honestly the first time I have used a camera in 15 years. Bear with me, I hope these pics get posted correctly.

Anyway, this is my first planted tank. It is a standard 10gallon with a cheap hood that has two screw in light fixtures. I started this tank on July 31st and the tank finished cycling a couple weeks ago since my filter was running on another tank for a couple months. Its obviously my first time with Aquasoil and its stillllll leaking tannins. The water stays pretty yellow, the pics are clear because I just drained it to add some more plants and stones and then refilled it. I have been looking for good aquascaping stones forever and finally got some from Jiddle here on SnS. I really like the stones, they aren't ADA but they look like it and I didn't have to pay the ADA price. Just today I put 10 of my RCS and 2 amanos in the tank so hopefully they will do alright. Anyway, let me get to the specs.

Tank: 10gallon with 2 screw in light hood
Light: 2x 26watt 6700k daylight CF
Filter: AquaClear 20
CO2: Hagen DIY canister with DIY bubble counter and glass mini diffuser. Going to start lightly dosing Excel to help since I only get about 15 bpm with the DIY co2
Ferts: Flourish NPK, Pfertz Micro
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I
Hardscape: stones similar to ryuoh/seiryu
Plants: HC, Riccia, HM, dwarf hairgrass, lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Fauna: presently has 10 RCS and 2 amanos, will soon add 5 S+ CRS and 5 CBS, also add 10 boraras brigittae and either a nerite or assassin snail

My HM died off quite a bit since I took it out to rescape. So the pics you can't see it at all but it will be in front of the stones, so I'll keep it trimmed pretty low. The HC has only been in the tank less than a week. As you can see the Riccia has been in there a while and is growing like crazy. I know its not a true iwagumi since I have so many plant types but oh well I'll see where this tank goes and make changes if needed. Let me know what ya'll think I should do to make the tank better. Any suggestions and critiques are appreciated. Now to the pics.

full tank shot

Left side

Right side

Side view

RCS pic

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Good start but I'd get one really big rock and have that be in the middle. And not have all 3 point in 3 different directions.

Right now it looks a little disjointed.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea your right mistergreen, they do look a little small. What about adding some aquasoil to make it the stones sit on a hill? how should I position the stones? they don't look natural to me

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i changed the rocks slightly last night. I tilted the rock on the left more flat, and tilted the main stone to the left. The right stone is at about the same angle but burried it more in the substrate so its a little shorter. There was a dead space in the middle of the rocks so I placed a small rock in the back to kinda fill the gap. I think it looks a little better, still not totally pleased though. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't take it anymore. I took the two rocks on the left out of the tank and replaced them with a large center stone and medium sized stone. I'll get some pics up this weekend.

The stone on the right from the pic above is now in my 2.5gallon that I set up yesterday. It looks more at home in there.

I'll have to trim the riccia this weekend, but other than that not too much growth. The brazilian micro and DHG grew a tiny bit. As for the HC, I haven't noticed any growth or new runners. Does it just take a little time to establish?

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Time for a couple updated pics. Changed two rocks for a couple bigger ones. I think the new rocks make the scale seem better.

As you can see, water is pretty yellow. Its been over a month and a half and still leeching tannins. Its getting old. I can't do daily waterchanges anymore because the shrimp don't seem to like it. I've lost two cherries and the water parameters are fine so I'm blaming it on all the constant waterchanges. Alright pic time.

full tank shot

close up on new rocks

HC

·
Registered
357 Posts
The riccia is coming a long nicely, and yes, HC does take a while to get established, IME. I like it better than the first setup, but it's still kind of... plain.

Maybe it's just me. I'm getting kind of tired of iwagumi setups - they're all starting to look the same to me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No offense - you've got a nice setup there. I guess I'm just getting jaded... I see so many great tanks here.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea tell me about it. To tell you the truth I'm not 100% satisfied with this tank. Just doesn't look natural and complete.

I'm trying to get some suggestions on how to make it better. I definitely need a different rock arrangement but with the plants planted, there isn't much I can do.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I added 6 SS/S+ CRS and 6 S+ CBS to the tank on Thursday. I got them from a dealer in California for a great price, the 12 shrimp for $55 shipped. If you want to know his email send me a PM, they were great people to deal with. To my amazement I have not lost any. I need to get some pictures up but I don't have a camera so I'll have to borrow a friends sometime.

The pH is still reading too high at 7.6. I don't understand why its so high when I have Aquasoil. It used to be 6.5 but somehow raised to 7.6. The shrimp don't seem to mind, hopefully.

This weekend I ordered 10 boraras brigittae, 3 assassin snails, and 2 nerites from Invertz Factory. I won't put all the snails in this tank, prob 2 assassins and maybe a nerite if algae gets bad.

Plants are showing decent growth. It seems like the HC is spreading finally and the riccia is crazy. I trimmed it a couple weeks ago and it needs another trim.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally, a picture update.

The riccia was starting to come off the rocks they were tied to so I pulled all of it. It was really becoming a pain trimming it every week anyway. I'm sure the shrimp will miss it but the other plants are starting to take off.

I added some marsilea minuta to the tank where the riccia used to be. Once it fills in, I think it would look great in contrast to the HC.

In the picture you can see the new boraras briggitae I received from Invertz Factory. They are so tiny, even with 10 of them in the tank they take up no room at all. I also added 2 assassain snails so hopefully they will slow down the rapidly increasing number of pest snails.

O, and almost forgot, I switched to a pressurized paintball co2 setup. Hopefully this will give a little more co2 since I was only getting 25 bubbles per second with diy. On to the pics.

full tank shot

a little closer up, you can see the HM growing right in front of the rocks

one side of the newly planted marsilea minuta

a couple SS CRS and a S+ CBS

more CBS

finally got a berried cherry although you can't really tell

1 - 20 of 64 Posts