1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
L046 zebra plecs have went don't in price drastically within the past year. Commonly see them going for $160-180 now. They used to be $300-400 (sometimes even more). I've had my LFS get in a good size shipment of young zebras and sold them for $130-140 a piece (yes, even if you only bought one). Just giving the background on their prices lately.

So I guess it's a good price, but know that they have went down in price significantly from what they were being sold at just over a year ago.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have purchased a lot of discus from Mathias the owner of discus madness. You can visit his facility by appointment, he's a nice guy. His fish are always in good health and he properly quarantines. I'd say go check em out if you have the time.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the size option is 'small', so these are probably quite young. That is a good price, though.
True and good point!

L046 zebra plecs have went don't in price drastically within the past year. Commonly see them going for $160-180 now. They used to be $300-400 (sometimes even more). I've had my LFS get in a good size shipment of young zebras and sold them for $130-140 a piece (yes, even if you only bought one). Just giving the background on their prices lately.

So I guess it's a good price, but know that they have went down in price significantly from what they were being sold at just over a year ago.
I didnt know they had been decreasing in price...just knew they were crazy expensive!

I suppose that is an encouraging sign since they are endangered in the wild from what I remember. Means people have figured out how to breed them.
Very true!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
The price has gone down a bit. They're breed-able in captivity but not as easily as say the bristlenose (they're breed way too easy and fast.. put rodents to shame) so price won't plummet fast, but will go down with time as more people buy and breed them. I'm curious how low it will be in another 5 years.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Considering they only lay 10 to 15 eggs each time and the young take 4 years to grow up, it is unlikely that you will see the price getting any lower anytime soon. On AB they sell for 200 to 250 depending on size. There used to be a guy on there that sold juveniles for $150 but I have not seen any auctions from him lately. $300 to 350 was only for sexed females, males were always cheaper but I have never seen one sold for $400.
As long as they are banned from export by Brazil they will be expensive.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thoughts. Since originally posting this a buddy of mine sent me a text that someone else has L199 zebra plecos 3 for $75! I've yet to see anything to confirm and have no idea of the size being sold for that price. But it does seem they are coming down.

edit: scratch that. I now see L199 is something different.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah there are a couple other zebras out there and some "tigers" that look like zebras, hence why the L046 are referred to as 'true' zebras.

I've seen plenty of places sell true zebra plecos (medium size) for $400 or even more (just a couple years ago, and I've seen the price drop, even know LFS owners and fish managers that have known the prices. Know a couple people personally that paid $400 per fish. Imperial Tropicals (out in Florida) was selling zebras $360-400 themselves just over a year ago (they carry and breed some rare plecs).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Anyone that paid $400 per L46 got ripped off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.