The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the deal with zebra nerites claimbing out of the tank? is this normal? will being out of the water for hours cause them any damage? are they finicky snalls that have to have pristine water conditions?

i have a super low maintence tank right now it has no filter and no substrate, and no heater i do water changes 2 times a week and have a boat load of plants in there that are doin great, i use my geckos heat lamp right now for light for the plants and the are fine the red melon sword is maroon on some leaves the light isnt directly aimed at the tank so the water isnt over heated.. the snails do go back in sometimes but i wanna make sure this is normal nerite behavior to come out the water this long..

thanks in advance,

tam

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I would say something is wrong with your water if the snails are repeatedly climbing out of the water. What are the parameters of the tank? Tank size? Temperature? The heat lamp cannot be good for any stable temperature in the tank. Also, with no filter is there any current at all in the tank?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is no current, its a 10g.....im guessing even though my tank looks clear the water quality is not so good. i plan on getting a heater and a filter in a couple of weeks ,when i move..

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You should also get a test kit to see what are the parameters of the water. Do not buy the strips, even though they are less costly they are not as accurate as the liquid test kits.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Zebras will climb out of any tank. Generally if you keep the water level an inch or two from the top they won't do it, but if its just a short distance they'll go explore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts