The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I added 5 zebra nerite snails to my tank over the weekend to help combat my unpleasant algae problems. One thing I didn't anticipate is how much these guys poop! It's everywhere! Is this normal? I think I have had other snails in the tank before but didn't seem to poop anywhere near this amount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar experience with those little free snails that come with plants from the LFS. Couldn't imagine where all the little black droppings were coming from.

Would like to have Nerites in my tank but with co2 the PH is 6.4.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They're also going to leave lot of interesting trails with their eggs. They'll lay the eggs while moving and they come out at a steady rate, so your going to have a line of equally spaced white dots on everything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The egg laying is continuous and slightly disheartening. Scraping them out is also a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
My pH approaches that with CO2 on. Some of my Nerites show signs of shell erosion but the one "Tiger" does not seem to be susceptible. Neither does my Thorn/Horn Nerite.
I took the plunge and added four nerites to my tank. I hope my only problems are poop and eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts