The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've just purchased a Zebra Nerite snail. I didn't take much notice of the one they picked out for me. But when I got the Snail home its shell looks in very poor condition with about 60% of the shell lacking stripes.
I searched the internet for possible reasons and learned that snails kept together for long periods with a lack of calcium can be forced to rasp on each others shells. Also poor water conditions (low Ph/to acidic) can lead to pitting and loss of there natural coloration.

So, is it possible in the right water conditions Ph, Kh, Gh and Calcium provided in diet, that the shell of my snail will return to a healthy state? Or is it permanently damaged?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If conditions are good then it should grow back its shell in a healthy condition.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
^this
Old external shell cannot be repaired as it is not in contact with metabolic active tissue.
If it develops any holes or cracks, superglue can be used to repair it. :) wont look pretty but the snail will do just fine like that. So long as you provide sufficient calcium for new growth. Spinach is your friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^this
Old external shell cannot be repaired as it is not in contact with metabolic active tissue.
If it develops any holes or cracks, superglue can be used to repair it. :) wont look pretty but the snail will do just fine like that. So long as you provide sufficient calcium for new growth. Spinach is your friend.
Thanks for the info mate :) I could take it back to the shop. But I wont. It will live out its days with the best I can give it.:) Tank on!

PS. these Zebras are true poo monsters! lol

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my earlier post. The damaged shell itself does not heal, but the snail grows new shell which eventually replaces the old stuff.

Also keep in mind these guys can live long. I have one that's almost 6 years old now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts