The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I got about 15 Zebra Babaulti shrimps a few weeks ago and I've been losing a shrimp every 3-4 days since I've got them. I'm honestly not sure why since my tank is mature and the parameters seem to check out. I was wondering if anybody has any insight? Thanks!

My current tank setup:
  • 16 gallon tank w/ fluval 107 canister and rain bar
  • Black fluorite sand substrate with lots plants (anubias, moss)
  • Boiled malaysian driftwood and rocks
  • RO water re-mineralized with saltyshrimp gh/kh+
  • pH 7.8
  • Gh = 8, kH = 3.5
  • Temp = 76-81F
  • Nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates <5
  • a daily small pinch of Bacter AE and shrimpbaby
  • daily 5mm of shrimp king complete sticks
  • The only other thing in the tank is an established colony of yellowback neocaridinas who are thriving and breeding.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I don't know if care for the Zebras differ much from the Neos.... But might try stopping Bacter AE.

Maybe try providing other sources of algae or vegetables? Or maybe providing protein sources from other foods?

It's a good tank setup, so I don't see anything obviously 'wrong'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm, I'll try stopping Bacter for awhile. I ordered a bag of aqua magic powder since I heard bacter sometimes lowers oxygenation.

I currently don't have a heater, the room comes up to 82F during the daytime.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My compliments on your setup. It makes me feel like a total newby. It looks clean and well maintained. The technology of the canister filter and the spray bar is state of the art. It looks like a good place to put some shrimp.

Respecting the shrimp deaths, my unqualified guesses are:

1. Too high ppm TDS
2. Water changes too big
3. You got the shrimp already sick
4. Shortage of biofilm
5. Maybe they don't like the Shrimp King
6. Not enough detritus

That last one sounds a little weird to me because I don't know much about shrimp. I found the link below that talks a little about it. You run a clean tank. Maybe you need to loosen up a little on your maintenance. For example, I'm trying to let my algae grow out for my Amanos. Anyway, that's my 5 cents worth of advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts