The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the offspring of a Zebra shrimp and a CRS will look like or if their are pictures of them anywhere? Just reading about Zebra shrimp and they seem to be in the same family and there is info saying they may even cross breed so I was just wondering if it was something good or bad to do.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You should head over to Shrimpnow.com (much nicer guys over there:icon_cool ) and look around... I've seen some pictures..Nothing too special mostly just small stuff like CRS banding on legs and things like that make them look obviouslt like hybrids. Sometimes the carapace (body/tail) gets all banded funky but you see a ton less pictures of that so I think it is probably a bit more uncommon. But then again, no one really tries to cross these two shrimp because it would screw stuff up... VERY complicated; I asked this question once..... it was too confusing so I just decided its a big NO NO!

-Andrew

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should head over to Shrimpnow.com (much nicer guys over there:icon_cool ) and look around... I've seen some pictures..Nothing too special mostly just small stuff like CRS banding on legs and things like that make them look obviouslt like hybrids. Sometimes the carapace (body/tail) gets all banded funky but you see a ton less pictures of that so I think it is probably a bit more uncommon. But then again, no one really tries to cross these two shrimp because it would screw stuff up... VERY complicated; I asked this question once..... it was too confusing so I just decided its a big NO NO!

-Andrew
Thanks for the reply. I did some more reading and although I could never find pics they said it was a NO NO and the results will just end up looking like an ugly shrimp. I'll probably go ahead and get the 20 or so since I have a 40 long I'll be using. All I need to do now is get a good divider in the tank and another small filter and i'm set!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am sure some one out there has accidentally or purposely hybrid some shrimp. I am also curious to what the outcome would be. I would not want to do this hybrid myself, i mean not much is known about the wild forms of these shrimp to begin with, let alone the ones created through selective breeding.
...and how do we know all these shrimp created through selected breeding are actually mutations and not hybrids?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did some more reading and although I could never find pics they said it was a NO NO and the results will just end up looking like an ugly shrimp. I'll probably go ahead and get the 20 or so since I have a 40 long I'll be using. All I need to do now is get a good divider in the tank and another small filter and i'm set!
Yeah its a HUGE NO NO! Almost as bad as PDF crosses(not as bad though)

Have you set up the 40long yet? Your better off doing two smaller tanks so there will be NO chance of them crossing... But risk it if you want. I will gaurentee you might get some hybrids by accident, and if you ever sold any of the shrimp you probably should tell the person how they are bred.

I am sure some one out there has accidentally or purposely hybrid some shrimp. I am also curious to what the outcome would be. I would not want to do this hybrid myself, i mean not much is known about the wild forms of these shrimp to begin with, let alone the ones created through selective breeding.
...and how do we know all these shrimp created through selected breeding are actually mutations and not hybrids?
Axolot, There is TONS known about shrimp! You must be new here since I don't recognize you. Its a very bland statement there so I'll let it drop for now, For info on different types of shrimp check out the major shrimp sights online, I recomend Shrimpnow.com !

Oh, and Most shrimp hybrids are infertile.

-Andrew

·
Registered
200 Posts
yeah I am new and I been on shrimp now and petshrimp.com for a while. I was jsut playing a devils advocate seeming most hybrid of most creatures are infertile. Also, was very very drunk, I appologize. Not something I usually do. Actually I have been in seach on papers concerning the creation or "discovery" of red cherry and snowball colour morphs in Neocaridia sp. I have also been looking for information on natural habitat and bevhavior of wild population of Neocaridina shrimp. Scientific liturature more than likely rather than some guy on a forum stating an opinion, like a drunken new person :p

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
yeah I am new and I been on shrimp now and petshrimp.com for a while. I was jsut playing a devils advocate seeming most hybrid of most creatures are infertile. Also, was very very drunk, I appologize. Not something I usually do. Actually I have been in seach on papers concerning the creation or "discovery" of red cherry and snowball colour morphs in Neocaridia sp. I have also been looking for information on natural habitat and bevhavior of wild population of Neocaridina shrimp. Scientific liturature more than likely rather than some guy on a forum stating an opinion, like a drunken new person :p
Heh, I just figured you where a bit off, we all are sometimes.

I know that the Cherry color mutation happened in someone's fish tank who was breeding the normal color ones, There is lots of info on some sights about it.... Can't think of the person's name offhand though. Same thing with CRS it was a genetic recessive gene apearance then bred a ton to eventually breed it true. And the blue snowballs happened in the guy who on aquabid is crayfish_germany I believe I read, so maybe contact him?

-Andrew

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have a 10g set up for them and may pick them up this weekend. Hopefully they don't die fast because it would be cool to breed them. They are all clear, but with blue crown and then blue stripes. Very nice looking indeed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts