The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3, 2 1/2" yoyo loaches in my cichlid tank I am thinking about moving to my planted tank and have a few questions.

After my male angelfish killed my female angel one night, the ammonia spiked and killed all my amano shrimp, which eventually resulted in a boom of snails and squishing the ones I see every night is not proving very effective.

Would they be okay in a planted tank, and will they damage any of my plants?
How effective are they really at eating snails?
Will they kill the 2 very lazy assassin snails I have in there?
Are they safe with pristella tetras? They are starting to breed so worried about any young being eaten as well.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Yoyo loaches are very good snail eaters. When I had them they didn't bother the other fish at all. I suspect they would eat all snails in the tank, including assassin snails. I believe they also eat baby shrimp, but I'm not real sure about that. The don't bother plants at all. Another beautiful loach is the "Zebra loach", Botia striata, which is a little smaller, and, in my experience, less intent on staying hidden.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright going to move the yoyo's over and put them to work. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.