The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone had any problems with YoYos eating plants? It looks to me like they've been dining on my Swords, but then someone has told me that a potassium deficiency could also cause the holes in the leaves I'm seeing. It's only the Swords though which makes me think it's the YoYos.

Thanks for any comments.
D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pic of the leafs. i Doubt a yo-yo would eat plants but i don’t. Know

If it’s young it could have ate them but usually they don’t eat a ton after they grow so they would just go for pellets or whatever you feed because it’s easier

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Did you just plant or move your sword recently? They tend to get mad when you disturb the roots and quite often get little holes on the old growth from it. Chances are if your yoyos are eating around where the holes are it's because there's dead plant matter, not because they're eating a healthy plant.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you just plant or move your sword recently? They tend to get mad when you disturb the roots and quite often get little holes on the old growth from it. Chances are if your yoyos are eating around where the holes are it's because there's dead plant matter, not because they're eating a healthy plant.
No, it's actually the oldest plant in my tank and it was nice and healthy. It sure looks to me like they've been eating it. I thought maybe a potassium deficiency as someone mentioned, but these are not pinholes, and I never, ever, had a problem until I got the YoYos.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, and I've had them for a couple of months now. I had 5 but I rehomed 3 of them. They were tearing up my plants by digging around and are really boisterous, as you know. I tried feeding wafers in addition to the flake food hoping that that would keep them from doing so much damage, but with 5 of them, it was like having a gang of hooligans whooping it up all the time 😄

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
😂 yes, I do 100% know about their destructive tendencies. I resorted in walling off my planted areas with plastic and filling the middle in with sand so they could be happy and so could my plants. I love loaches 😂

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
😂 yes, I do 100% know about their destructive tendencies. I resorted in walling off my planted areas with plastic and filling the middle in with sand so they could be happy and so could my plants. I love loaches 😂
They are quite the character, and having just the two of them seems to be working out fine. They pal around together but I'm not seeing near the damage. I had also just planted some new plants and I could NOT get them to get rooted with 5 of them raising cane in my tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
They are quite the character, and having just the two of them seems to be working out fine. They pal around together but I'm not seeing near the damage. I had also just planted some new plants and I could NOT get them to get rooted with 5 of them raising cane in my tank.
😂 my horseheads were the end of my dreams of a carpeted tank for myself at the time. Good luck with them, hopefully things will fall in line soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.