The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:biggrin:

After moving to the new apartment, the 60gal cube tank was set up and all fish were transplanted from the 55gal to the 60. So... I have a complete 55gal setup with nothing to go in it.

Now, one thing that has to be understood about me is that I have a bit of a partying side. I like things that are "different", out of the norm. If I could have a 240gal tank in the apartment with a bunch of eels I would. If I could have the 240 with Eels, stingrays, stone fish, I would. Anyone see where I am going with this? I like the exotic stuff, and since I already have the cool "normal" fish, its time to get the weird stuff. The tank is complete with filter, stand, 160W of Fluorescent lighting, and 3" of sand substrate. All I need are fish to put in it.

Obvously I don't want any Red Belly Pacu's or Tiger Shovelnose Cats in it, but give me some suggestions. This is NOT a community tank in case anyone is wondering if I planned on throwing anything in there like Tetras or whatever. I want somthing that will make people either recoil in fear when they see it or somthing that has that "OMG I've never seen one of those before!!" reactions.

If I can get a couple of strange oddities to co-exist like an Elephant Nose fish and a Dragonfish, all the better. Or somthing with teeth!

Whatcha got? :help:

EDIT: Suggestions so far

Piranahs
FlowerHorn
Mean Cichlid of some sort
Loaches

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pirhanas are actually very easy to find, an LFS sells them right down the street from where I work.

However, I am sure they'd eat me out of house and home. I'm pretty sure they don't like Pasta, and thats all I have to eat for the next 2 weeks basically.

Crazy ideas people! Small Stingrays are not out of the question.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What about a single tough cichlid like a red devil or flowerhorn? (I saw a flower horn that had blue eyes once and I've been trying to justify having a single tank for one ever since :)).

Tina

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'll just get as Lobster :lol:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Prawns look meaner... and probably are... OR one of those BIG crayz..

Another thing could be a arrowana, or a gar.. Those are sweet!

-Andrew

Edit, Also you won't be able to keep a ray in a 55g comfortably, so please don't try.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Crazy ideas people! Small Stingrays are not out of the question.
Stingrays are very cool, but are very difficult to keep from what I've read. They're also illegal in most states but I have no idea about Michigan. If you can have them there, I'm jealous! I've always wanted a FW stingray tank, but California is a little back-asswards on stuff like that. We can't even have ferrets. Well...not legally ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at a Gar actually... Sold under the Asian LongNose gar in LFS's I believe it to be a Needlenose Gar. I was thinking about getting maybe 3 or 4 of them.

And yes we can have StingRays in Michigan. I was at Aquarium Services last weekend and he has I think 3 or 4 in a rather large bowfront.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you had a chiller for the tank you could do some local fish, Pumpkin seed sunfish or some perch. both would eat live food and how many do you see in a tank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok peeps, I think I've decided on doing a Brackish Puffer and Archerfish tank.

What else can go with Puffers and Archers?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
If you had a bigger tank, I'd say Pseudoacanthicus tank. Always wanted one of those. Love those fish.

55? I'd say some cool rainbows.

I also like Fish Newb's idea of Macrobrachium sp. Very out of the ordinary and extremely vicious. Crays are also cool.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
How bout a "wet pet"?
that is- something that acts similar to a cat or dog, but is a fish.
Oscar gets a little big, but is definately a good pet. the arowan-same
oooo! a small snake head would be awesome! some of them stay small enough and are docile enough to house synodontis and pictus cats with, and the can be hand tamed sometimes.

or, a morymid?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mudskippers.

*edit* whoops, didn't see that you made your choice. a mudskipper-only tank would be pretty awesome though

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've always wanted a 55 or some other nice long tank, substrate kind of placed like rolling hills, to plant with microsword and a single tall plant on one end, and fill with around 50 neon tetras or so. Other than the tetras, maybe 4 or 5 khuli loaches. It would be sort of a birds and snakes look.

I know, not exactly shooting for the stars, but I think that would be really cool to stare at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts