The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 16 I mailed 25 shrimp to a kid in IL- I live in WI. They never recieved it so I mailed 10 more and Pedro mailed some they recieved both a few days after they were mailed.
Today they recieved the 1st package. The address was correct and perfectly legible. no damage to the box.

The water in the bag was so cloudy & dirty that they couldn't see inside. When they opened it -OMG some were still alive. DO I know how to pack em or what. Plants were completley dead, and 13 Cherries survived to post office. Holy smokes!!

I think the PO should give me a refund. Almost 3 week for priority mail 1 state away. What the heck?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Sounds like my sister's graduation present. It was shipped the 12th of April and arrived the 28th. 16 days for priority shipping going from Illinois to Ohio. Yet I can get snail mail for California in 2 days!

It's great to hear the RCS made it for so long in such horrible conditions. Maybe that's why I haven't killed off my population yet, they are just too hardy!

·
Registered
200 Posts
If it had to go through the Chicago post office to get to the location, that is probably why it messed up. I think recently Chicago post office was listed the worst post office services in the country. Wow, it is a hub too, so sad. Lots of people get lost mail here that was properly addressed. Infact the thing i mailed out for next day delivery yesterday is already lost in the mail hooray for Chicago USPS. Not to mention the clerks are the ruddest people I have ever come across, and some are not to bright either. I like how the package, i told them if it was ok I mark it fraglile because the contenes inside were fragile perishables, and the box really shouldnt be tipped arround too much. So what does the lady do? Turns the box upsidedown and handles it roughly.
Now you know why all my mails goes to my parents house in Indiana. They have nice post office people, and well, in that part of Indiana people from Chicago (cook country in general) go there for cigarettes that cost 3 bucks instead of 10 and gas 50 cents cheaper. A differnt instance of 'running for the border'.

It is so amazing your shrimp survived. These little guys survive through so much it is amazing!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a similar experience. It took 13 days for a package of cherry shrimp to travel via priority mail to an individual literally 40 minutes away. In retrospect, I should have just delivered the shrimp in person or something haha. But anyways, all the shrimp survived, probably thanks in part to the breather bags.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is my son who received these shrimp. Tundragirl cut him a super deal, made sure the package was addressed directly to him for excitement, even included acclimation instructions and food for a few months. And we waited. And waited. Finally, she figured the package must have leaked or something, causing the USPS to throw it out. She immediately sent more, also sent more food, and without my knowledge, contacted folks here to get additional contributions since she was running low. Those second packages arrived without incident. Talk about fantastic follow-up!!! These guys were committed to getting a nice quantity of shrimp to my son, much like a few others here have done with some plants!!!

Had some losses caused by our green fire tetras, and was actually just offered some more RCS locally when out of no where yesterday, this package arrives!!! At first, I thought TundraGirl sent even MORE when she learned about the green fire casualties..... then I saw the postmark.

At first, I thought about pitching the unopened box, figuring it would smell to high heaven from the dead contents, but curioisity got the best of me and I opened it. I could not believe what I was seeing. Water so filthy you could not see much of anything - but there was movement, and as Tundragirl pointed out, 13 survivors.

I do not think this was a breatherbag - she used that on her second shipment. This was actually double bagged, something Kordon specifically advises against.

Anyway - a true testament to how hardy these little guys can be. They were 1/4-1/2" maximum, so if there were larger ones originally, those are the ones that did not survive.

My son is doing exactly what she described - parading all his friends past the tank daily and his plan is to get some of his friends hooked on the hobby once he has some plant clippings and shrimplets to help get them started! :proud:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Owen, just remember when your son is begging for the Invert room It's your fault!

Great to hear more kids are getting into the hobby it's a great one at that! Not too many younger kids are in it, I'm 15 and a few others here are a bit older than me but the majority are adults here which is always nice after being in school with stupid teenagers all day, even I get tierd of my own kind:icon_neut

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.