The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have had red wag platys, possibly any platy...
How many have experienced really long poop/kind of thick? All of my research says "parasites/worms!!!)
But of you experienced platy people, how often is it actually a parasite/worm?

-->Max

·
Registered
45 Posts
I see it a lot and if it looks normal (not skinny or white or otherwise strange) but long I don't worry. Platys eat all the time in a planted tank picking at algae & plants etc., and are pigs at feeding time. I deworm mine when I get them ( praziquantel, metronidazole, levamisole during QT-not all at the same time) as they do often come with worms and parasites. If they are plump and act healthy with no clamped fins or flashing and no visible worms I don't treat them again. I have heard constipation can cause this-I include a lot of veggies like zucchini, dried seaweed, spirulina flakes, omega one mini veggie pellets/veggie rounds and frozen daphnia and avoid a lot of meaty offerings with them, but I still see very long normal poos often.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Mine poop forever lol I believe it to be normal for them as Dario said they are constant grazers.

Reactions: maxhrbal

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I have several dozen tri-color platys.
They know how to leave a long one!

What do you feed them?

I use TetraColor flakes and live brine shrimp occasionally.
They graze at everything available in the tank as most live-bearer's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The...excrements are all different. Some are thin, some are thick, varying from brown, red and whitish.
They are new fish from a reputable source. None appear bloated or skinny.

The strings often stay attached for a while almost if they are constantly and consistently defecating.

From what I understand, they need more vegetable matter(fiber) in their diet than meat?

-->Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.