The Planted Tank Forum banner

Your opinion on ground cover plants.

2741 18
What is your favorite foreground/ ground cover plant, and why?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
for me its easier to say what i dont like i cant stand dwarf hair grass

downoi is becoming my fav just because it looks different i also like s.repens basically because it grows like no tomorrow for me

baby tears i love but i think its over done and it wont grow for me

·
Registered
109 Posts
for me its easier to say what i dont like i cant stand dwarf hair grass

downoi is becoming my fav just because it looks different i also like s.repens basically because it grows like no tomorrow for me

baby tears i love but i think its over done and it wont grow for me
Its so funny how we run into each other. You know who to contact :hihi:

OP, DHG and Pogostemon are my Favorite. S repens are nice but not exotic enough for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Marsilea minuta is cool, and I've recently started a carpet of Hydrocotyle "japan" that I like alot...it grows very easily and pretty quickly, medium light, no CO2, and it has a different look than most of the other common foreground plants.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
I'd try a small section before doing any larger aria but regular baby tears seems to grow under most any light. Takes a while and some trimming
to get it thick if low but looks different from the other carpet plants
enough to keep from having your tank look like 20,000 other tanks.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Personally, I'm really liking monte carlo, I started with a small sprig and I'm letting it naturally work its way into a carpet. Its taking a decent chunk of time but I can wait, it really hugs the substrate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
glosso riccia baby tears all break apart. You will forever be picking little bits out of your filter. I like the look but don't care for the extra maintenance. I'm going with s. repens and dhg with my new 55g as they did great in my 13g. They grow well and quickly so it doesn't take forever to fill out. I started with 2 packs of tissue cultured s. repens last month and have a packed 3 1/2" x 14" bed that needs trimming again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I hope I have giving this forum plenty of time to grow. :] I have seen a lot of dhg and baby tears, but I wonder has anyone tried several together? Just to see who is hardier? What about w/o co2? What about your easiest to grow grown cover?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I guess you mean dwarf baby tears?
DHG is easier but slower, less picky about requirements
HC is faster but has higher requirements
Success rates with both are much better with CO2 ; non-CO2 methods require more specific setups.

Easiest covers are the larger ones ; dwarf sag, E-tenellus, crypt parva. For low tech setups without CO2, these are advisable
The smaller covers like HC, hyropiper, UG, tend to be more difficult

Monte carlo looks quite abit like HC and is much easier, but is hard to find
Marsilea minuta is similar to glosso but easier, but maybe hard to find

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.