The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun, I know there are lots of different fish people have, and the answers will be varied, but what do you like to feed your fish? Favourite brands? Live, frozen, freeze dried, flake? What type of fish (or shrimp!) are you feeding?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like Hikari Bio-Pure freeze dried Tubifex, Bloodworms, Spirulina Brine Shrimp and Daphnia. Although the Daphnia is a bit messy if you over do it due to it being powdery. I also use hikari algae wafers to supplement veggies and for the first food for their fry along with first bites and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs I get off fleabay. This is what I feed my kribs and they go nuts over the Hikari foods and are always in good health with vibrant colors. This is my go to brand as it's what I used to feed my Jack Dempsey and convicts when I first got into aquariums about 15 years ago and they always had good color and health as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a a few cherry shrimp, otos, and rasboras. I feed Nutrafin Tropical flakes, Hikari algae wafers and Hikari Crab Cuisine (not all at once!). Occasionally some blanched spinach and zucchini too. Don't love the flakes, the fish don't seem to either. They won't eat any of the red flakes. I'm on the hunt for something better.

When we had a betta, I found some betta pellets that I liked (can't remember their name). Then I ran out and switched to something else but the pellets were huge! He couldn't eat them.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
ocean nutrition mysis shrimpo and bloodworms (midge larva)

I also feed ocean nutrition marine vege, and freshwater vege. occaisionally ill drop a few culled rcs in

and on my RCS tank i feed baby organic spinach, ocean nutrition vege, repashy shrimp souflette, mulberry leaves, IAL, zuchinni

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
my fish, Amanos & RCS seem to like the Omega One color flakes (salmon skin based) and they LOVE the thin algae wafers - either Hikari or Aqueon. Both are thin smooth, they don;t seem to care as much for the API wafers that are fat and coarse looking.

I have a rock pile/cave area that the amanos hang out in, have actually seen a small group of them grab & walk a wafer backwards into the cave to hog it for themselves :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
NLS based home made agar gel with fresh veg, spirulina tablets from the health food store. By the way, if you want to see comprehensive scientific reviews of fish foods go to oscarfish.com.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like the Hikari algae wafers the best as it is the most versatile food, all my tank inhabitants love it. As the ottos, snails, shrimp, cichlids, and cories attack the wafers all the bits that float off are caught by a long train of danios, tetras, rasporas, and gouramis hovering downflow...quite a show.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
New Life Spectrum 0.5mm & 1mm sinking pellets, scuds, mosquito larve, and glass shrimp from my refugiums. also' tetra flakes and hikari algea wafers

·
Registered
915 Posts
This is what I have:
Hikari Brine Shrimp
Hikari Tubifex Worms
Hikari Blood Worms
Tetramin Tropical Flakes
Wardley Algae discs

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tropical flakes and freeze dried blood worms for my freshwater fish, and freeze dried shrimp (helps wear his beak down) and blood worms for my green spotted puffer. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
NLS grow formula, NLS cichlid formula, Hikari mysis shrimp, Cobalt cichlid flakes, and Omega one freshwater flakes.

I have pellets also but are now stored away. They were for my bigger cichlids which I don't have anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts