The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only corydoras species I have experience with are the pygmaeus, or pygmy cories, and I have absolutely fallen in love with them. I expect I'll always be keeping them from now on out, because of their cute little antics. But it made me start to realize that I need to diversify, and start experiencing the joys of the other corydoras spp. I would like to get a non-pygmy type to put in my 20-long.

So, what cories have you raised, which ones were your favorites, and why?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm currently keeping 4 different types: Albinos (c. aeneus), peppered (c. paleatus), pandas (c. panda), and Gold Lasers (c. sp. cf. aeneus).

The albinos are definitely the most active and boisterous. They swim all over the tank, bumping into one another, and other fish! Very fun to watch. I have 7, but they don't really school together too much...
The three other varieties i keep pretty much stick to the bottom. They will swim to the top on occasion.
The Pandas are my second most active bunch, and they school together really well, so it's really neat to watch them patrol the tank. I've got a group of 4 of them.
The Peppered corys only number 3, so they school rarely, but they interact with each other quite a bit. They are also the largest of the corys i'm keeping right now. They are not the most attractive though. I think they're kind of bland-looking.
The Gold lasers are still juvies. I got 4 of them at a club meeting auction. They are very, very cool looking. They're fairly active, but still pretty shy. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop. I really wish i had more of them. The breeder said he would contact me when he gets another successful spawn.

So....
I'd have to say i like the pandas the most. Fun to watch. They school well. Attractive, and not too big.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I really wanted to get Sterbi, I think they are the most beautiful. With the yellow fins and nice spots. But I ended up getting Julii instead because they were cheaper. I think their spots are just as nice, but they don't have the yellow fins to really set them off. The Reticulated corys have nice patterns as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like all cories but the black cories and sterbai rank pretty close to the top of the list. My black cories are spawning like there's no tomorrow but the sterbai are taking a break right now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have kept and bred numerous species of corys and I like them all. I really like pygmaeus as they are fun to watch in large groups as they swim all over the tank. I also like the closely related Brochis species multiradiatus( sometimes called the hognose) which is like a cory on steroids. All in all corys are hard to beat because they never bother other species and are very peaceful.

Bruce

·
Registered
762 Posts
i have about 16 sterbai's, there my favorite cory's spawn all the time but the other fish follow them and eats the eggs right away. very active and loves swimming in groups against the high currents.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have kept several species and even helped breed a few (they did all the work) and my favorites are the pygmy corys and sterbai corys. I have a 10g tank that has about a dozen pygmy corys in it right now and a 29g which has a half dozen juvenile sterbai corys (along with some rummynose tetras and otos). I've kept bandit corys and a few others in the past. Both species that I keep right now are very active although the pygmy corys are shy and hide when there is sudden movement.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welll...
I've kept Corydoras anaeus, C. trilineatus, C. schwartzi, Brochis spendens, C. habrosus, probably some more I can't think of right now...

And I've never met a single Cory I didn't love.

They're just awesome, doggone cute, peaceful, and useful little fish. Perfect tank residents.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yay cool to see, Sterbai fans, they rock and I love the bright orange to yellow fins, I'm working on a school right now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another Sterbai and Juli fan here, those are my fav, and then pandas.
Haven't seen black ones, but sounds cool.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought my julii to hang out in the sand in front of my tank, but they apparently prefer to hang out in my plants and brush over my leaves. So much for that. Maybe my future Sterbai will have more fun in the sand. lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love my adolfoicorys, but I do love them all. My favorite fish when I was young, like 10 years old, was an Albino Cory. His name was "Sushi" LOL!

are you sure this is an adolfoi?
I'm just asking because the black line is far to fat to be an adolfoi and most pet stores sell duplicareus as adolfoi. Also if your adofoi is a full grown adult the orange would have faded.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts