The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it looks like my new tank (40 gal) is going to have VERY low ph (<6.0) I'm thinking of finding fish that like it that way. What are your favorite super soft water denizens?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Licorice gourami (Parosphromenus deissneri), Chocolate gourami (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides), Coolie loach (Pangio kuhlii), Zebra oto (Otocinclus cocama) and Axelrod's Rasbora (Sundadanio axelrodi).

·
Registered
295 Posts
My favorite by far; Discus! :) I also like Harliquin Rasobras, Neons and Cardinals.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Green eye rasboras, Boraras, Microrasbora, and in general any small type of rasboras. I also like cardinal tetras lol.

·
Registered
705 Posts
apistogramma for sure! there is no better looking tank than a low light blackwater tank with a few amazon swords and some apistos. it will look amazing .

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
apistogramma for sure! there is no better looking tank than a low light blackwater tank with a few amazon swords and some apistos. it will look amazing .
oh yeah!... good suggestion. If i have soft/low ph water, I would totally get these guys.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great suggestions

Thanks guys! I am definitely considering a trio of apistos and some dither fish. Those cool little rasboras rock too. I wonder what would be a rare betta...did you mean wild forms or strange bred colors and tail fins?
I'm afraid bettas would be too agressive. I've seen licorice gouramis in a tank and they are very shy but so tiny. I love tiny fish. I love dreaming about this...one of favorite phases of a new tank, I suspect for you guys as well:D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have a 10G with cardinals, tds of 25 and about 85% covered from light. pH is 5.4. Peaty water. The cardinals love the water and I have never seen fish so colorful. They really pop in the dim blackwater conditions. A dark tank screams for cardinals in a large group.

·
Registered
786 Posts
see my 60 gallon below (pH = 5.7) and yes, they love the low pH! The colors are outstanding and they're breeding like crazy!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Thanks guys! I am definitely considering a trio of apistos and some dither fish. Those cool little rasboras rock too. I wonder what would be a rare betta...did you mean wild forms or strange bred colors and tail fins?
I'm afraid bettas would be too agressive. I've seen licorice gouramis in a tank and they are very shy but so tiny. I love tiny fish. I love dreaming about this...one of favorite phases of a new tank, I suspect for you guys as well:D
rare wild bettas i mean.. check out these guys
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/catview.imp?catid=885

Betta Albimarginata looks crazy. And bettas are usually just agressive to other bettas.. They make good community fish.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Dwarf cichlids, tetras, angelfish, discus, Pangio kuhlii, Iriatherina werneri and Melanotaenia praecox

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what cool fish

thanks everyone, I'm having fun looking up the fish I didn't know about, and dreaming of my tank (which right now has its first algae, sigh). ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Dwarf cichlids, tetras, angelfish, discus, Pangio kuhlii, Iriatherina werneri and Melanotaenia praecox
Okay..I'll add up on this old thread.:smile:

Panda corydoras, Sturisomas and licorice gouramis.:smile:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Snake?! First I was confused, then remembered what you were all about.
That is a fully aquatic elephant trunk snake. They are considered a difficult species but I think if you have experience with aquariums they wouldn't be too bad. I'm not speaking from experience, though. I like the dry snakes :)

I'm interested in learning more about these guys, Naja. I am reading up on the link in your sig right now. Do you keep any other snakes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts