The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting some for either tank.
First tank: 2x T8 bulbs @ 10.5" from sub..no Excel/CO2
Second tank: 2x T5 bulbs @ 12" from sub + 2x recommended Excel daily
Both tanks have low levels of Micro/Macro ferts weekly, more in second one.
Might this work for either of these tanks ?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've tried L. brasiliensis several times without CO2. I could usually get it to survive with Excel, but never could get a good carpet going.

L. mauritiana is the only microsword I've had any luck with in non-CO2 tanks.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll check that one.
Really both these tanks are 10g and just small plants are the focus more so than "carpet type". This is just the next in line that I am investigating.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Never had luck with it without CO2. Why don't you try the US native Lilaeopsis chinensis? It gets no taller than two inches and it carpets and spreads for me in low light without CO2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had nothing but luck with it. I carpeted my 29gal low light no ferts and flourite substrate. I tore that tank down over a year ago threw the substrate over potting soil in some pots on my patio and the 2 strands now carpet the pot outside in 90f weather never been watered except for when it rains. Looks better now then it did in my tank actually.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Success with this plant. +1

I use co2. Some folks use excel because they don't use co2. Excel is carbon, too.

What's the difference between Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Lilaeopsis nova 'mini micro'?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.