The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wonderin what everyone uses as bio media...
In my G3 i use fluvals G-nodes.
In my 405 i use biomax.

Shouls i ever have the nees to replace them?
Either the gnodes or biomax.

Im wondering of switching everything (slowly) to seachem matrix would be a beter deal... Also looking for a biomedia that has a quicker "flow"

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Unless your biomedia is literally disintegrating, there is no need to replace it.

Switching your biomedia may have some effect on your flow rate (i.e. if it is "looser" then the water will flow by more easily) but it will probably not make a perceptible difference.

In any case, your biomedia will clog over time, requiring cleaning anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the bio media (biomax) that came with my fluval canisters as well as broken up pumice. I am apparently cheap though(always looking for a non-brand replacement).

The Seachem matrix appears to have a very large surface area in comparison with most other media options I have looked at. It's pricey though.

For the princely sum of $1-$4 you can get yourself some of that ancient pumice from a garden center or agregate supplier locally and see if you like it.:smile: Rinse it first like anything else.

As far as replacement goes, like previously mentioned, unless it is disintegrating should not need replacing. It does get gooped up after a while (three months +/-) though so a quick rinse with dechlorinated water will restore it well enough to keep proper flow.

For the sake of clarity - you never want to "clean" your bio media. That will cause an ammonia spike and possibly kill your aquatic friends. <-- No argument intended Darkblade48.

-Zach

·
Registered
121 Posts
My bio-media? My plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.