The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to shrimp. I won some red Rili on aquabid and got them yesterday. Of course they are young, so smaller in size (there were a couple of larger ones, and one berried, which was a nice surprise). All arrived in great shape and adjusted well to my tank.

However, I do have a question about coloration. Does the typical red rili coloration with the red head and tail and colorless midsection develop as they age and molt? The very little ones I got look more like low grade RCS to me, they lack any of the distinct patches that the rilis are supposed to have. They have speckles of red throughout their entire body and are more overall red than the older rilis I had before I got these new ones.

Thanks for any replies :)

Heif

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the thing with rili is it takes a lot of culling to keep a nice pattern to them. when i had some i didnt mess with culling so they kinda did their own thing. i even had a few that were all clear and some that were solid red. i would contact the seller and ask though cause that could be either a poor grade rili or a cherry

·
Registered
31 Posts
^what he said.

as for the coloration of the younger ones, I don't think the patterns will change that much. I got a juvenile carbon rili that's dark blue almost all the way through, after several months still looks the same

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not planning on doing much with them, it's just my first foray into shrimps, I didn't pay tons for them, and they are healthy and happy. They make me happy to watch them bop around. I'll just let it be and be more educated for next time :) I'm cycling a 3 gallon that I'd like to have carbon rilis. Live and learn ;)

Heif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.