The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two kribensis ( pulcher ) for my birthday--I have no real way of telling which sex they are--they are young and dont really have much color. They look almost like twins. They have started to show a little color since I put them in my tank last night.

My question is in regard to their behavior. Shortly after putting them in the tank I noticed that they were rubbing on each other. Is the the beginning of spawning already?? Surely they arent that happy in a new tank that quickly?? The one with the most color ( mainly just yellow and black stripes--no real blushing on the belly to indicate female or male ) would go over and rub along the side of the other one who has almost no coloration at this point. After the rubbing they would swim along side by side for a bit, then seperate. They would take turns nudging each other from the side as well. I dont know how to tell if they like each other or not--guess time will tell. I dont really want a tank full of babies, but I dont want dead fish either.

Strange behavior. For the most part, they stay in their caves and just kind of peek out at me.

Any input? They are in a tank by themselves and just hanging out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
last week i got a pair of kribs from the lfs (they were the "alpha" pair of the tank) and within the first couple days they began to show signs they had spawned in a cave. this afternoon i saw fry that the mother moved from the hatching cave to a smaller more secure spot which she guards ferociously. less than one week, shop to fry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.