The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure this topic has been covered before, but I haven't been able to find anything on the forum after lots of searching. but what im trying to find out is whether or not I would have issues with putting a few juvenile GBR in a tank with a few large (1.5-2 inch) amano shrimp. has anyone tried this, if so, what were the results?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I haven't had issues with my GBRs attacking my amanos. I even caught 4 cherry shrimp hanging out on top of my GBRs eggs and they didn't seem to care. Other people haven't been as lucky as I am, so it seems to depend more on your particular fish than anything else.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got cherry and malayan shrimp in every tank I have and have German Blues, Electric Blues and Gold rams and they are all just fine. From time to time the larger guys will chase a shrimp around and kill it then the whole group rips it apart and eats it but doesn't happen often. Most of the time you'll see the shrimp out foraging right near/below the rams liike nothing is happening. I have had a couple rams that just loved to eat the little guys though so it's really just on each individual fish. Either way, the shrimp population in all of those tanks just keeps going up and they help keep the tank pretty clean.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have 5 Amano Shrimp with my matting pair of Germans. They have been there for over 6 months now. The germans don't care as long as they aren't near their spawn. Then they just chase them off.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i went and did the deed. picked up a trio of german blues on friday. male and two females. going to let the male pick his girl and the other will either go back to the LFS or be transferred into my community tank. hope to have a batch of eggs within the month or two.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily take her back. It's always nice having an extra female or male for that matter around. I've had a couple GBR males spawn with 2 different females within days of each other. Not all males will stick to just one female. Some of them will stray. Also as I've learned in the past, it's always nice to have a backup. I'm of the mindset now that if these are fish you want to breed, might as well just get two pairs in case something happens to either the male or female you have a back up, among multiple other reasons. I also think Rams are much more entertaining in larger groups with all their territory disputes and showdowns between pairs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unfortunately my breeding project went belly up, quite literally. all three of the rams i got died within hours of each other. it was really quite strange. all were fine the day before, got up the next morning and they were not doing very good. before i could even try to figure out what was up they were gone. never seen fish go that fast for no reason. had to have been something that came in from the LFS :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.