The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is any tricks to sexing young German Blue Rams. I have recently acquired 4 GBR and it is so hard to tell what sex they are because from what I see all of hem have some sort of blue sheen on their black spot. I'll post some pictures once I'm able to get them.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
433 Posts
Male GBR's often have a longer dorsal fin than females.

Females also often have a pinkish belly and are generally smaller in size.

These are the two easiest ways to sex them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are all tricks for adults right? But I have young most likely juvenile Rams that I'd like to identify they're sex. No sure fire way expect patience?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also, the front bottom fins (sorry - don't know the name) will usually be longer in a male.
Pectoral.

These are all tricks for adults right? But I have young most likely juvenile Rams that I'd like to identify they're sex. No sure fire way expect patience?
Yes, for adults. It's difficult sexing Rams in general. Much harder to sex juveniles.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Would it work the same with EBR's?

I have a group of six and other than size, the only difference I can see is in the first couple of rays of the dorsal, being black.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ramirezi in general, yes. Ornamental strains (like Electric, Balloon and Gold) still have the same general attributes.

With males, generally the second and third rays on the dorsal fin are significantly higher than on females.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Picture would let trained eyes guess.
I look at aprox 200 juvis every day.
It can be impossible to very hard to explain to even easy to see.
Pink belly ,and size #1 and#2.
The size difference gets clearer with age.
Females can will show pink belly and lay eggs at 4 months old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts