The Planted Tank Forum banner

Young Blue Ram not eating

1507 3
Hi,

I recently purchased 5 young Blue Rams. 3 males and 2 females. I have had them 4 days now and all of them are eating flake well except for the smallest female? She looks healthy and colorful minus being a little skinny. She actively will poke around the bottom for food and she gets excited when the food comes in but spits out the flake and becomes disinterested. Clearly she doesn't like something about it. The flake is older and not cichlid specific, could that be an issue? I am thinking of trying some frozen brine or bloodworms but I don't have a convenient resource for it.

Can anyone suggest some options. I would estimate the size of the rams at 1" - 1.5" no sure how old that would make it. I need to check with the LFS I bought them at also but wanted to get other input.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I breed and raise my rams on kens grow crumbles #2-3...
They like bloodworm ,blackworm flakes and love freeze dried Australian blackworms.
I do offer frozen blood worms to my breeders several times a week along with a variety of prepared foods.
The crumbles are like NLS pellet ,just way more affordable..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I called the store I bought them from and they got me set up with the frozen blood worms and brine they were feeding them. That fixed it. the little female didn't even hesitate to eat. I will check out the black worm flakes. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.