The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. Comcast. I hate them. They are the sole internet provider where i live in Chicago. It's a freakin monoply 75 bucks for jsut standard cableinternet. It is a rediculous price. Their emplyeers are dipsh*ts also. When we got it, it was the "6 month promotion" deal when we only pay like 30 bucks, after 6 month they jack up the price to 75 bucks. I do not think broadband is worth what they charge. I am sick of the ISP monopoly and the riduculous overcharge. I am also sick of big-box stores, especiallly big box "Pet" stores. The prices are not that cheap and most sell crap. It is "cheap" cus they screw over some people in Indonesia and don't pay them or get awy with the "Made in the USA" label by setting up sweat shops in Guam. So in here in Chicago they were going to make big box stores pay all employeers 10/hour, but then the evil stores cried that they would leave. Now Wal-Fart is getting praised for opening in a "poor black neighborhood" and offering jobs. Over 400 people applied. I will tell you, most are still jobless. This is not to be a praise of Wal-Fart but a sign offixing neighorhoods, and no, not gentrification. I also found out in my old town minimum wage is only 5 bucks. No one can live even double time on 5 bucks an hour.

O.O I feel better after getting that off my back...Its good stress relife to rant, even if some of it is biased and not the whole story...But still, I hate Comcast. Stupid 8- dollar setup fee when I know more about computer netwoeking than the jackass who came and couldnt figure out how to work the router and i kept telling him what to do and he didn;t listen. Sigh...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Federal Minimum Wage is is $5.15 an hour. So your number is wrong. Minimum wage is not intended to "live" on minimum wage. If your skill set is such that you are only worth $5.15 an hour then perhaps you should examine your life and improve your skill set.

And I HIGHLY doubt that Comcast is the sole internet provider in any area of Chicago. I would guess that your phone company offers DSL service of some kind. And there is always dial up. I would guess that you have access to at least a dozen dial up providers at a minimum. And Comcast did not "jack up" the rates. They followed the contract that you agreed to. If you did not read the contract or did not understand it then that's your fault.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:wink: LOL, I'm going to have to agree with Rex here. The contract (even here in Canada) is spelt out in plain english on what your payments will be now and in the future. However, I must admit that in the past (a long time ago) I too would rant and rave about prices going up but that was when I was a kid, I decided to improve my skill set and make more money.....now it's not a problem :wink:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Comcast is still a monopoly here on the east coast. There is no other providers for cable. DSL is not the same... much slower. And comparing dial-up to cable is a joke. They definitely charge way too much for their services... but what do you expect when they have no competition? And if you make changes to your service over the phone, they are very sneaky. I have also had similar experiences with less-than-intelligent employees of Comcast.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"East Coast" is a bit broad in your description here.

Comcast has some business in Maine, but they do not have all business in Maine.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Due to the cable companies past practice they have a monopoly most anywhere they are. There are just a handful of towns in the US where one company or another doesn't have a monopoly.

DSL here in Portland goes up to 7mb. About the same as cable. Unless you are downloading a lot of illegal content over the net the speed difference doesn't make a lot of difference. For the average user they could not tell you if the line was a 1.5mb or a 7mb. If you live in the suburbs you can get Versions FOIS. It starts at 15mb. I have not had a chance to read the FAP/FU policy on FOIS. I do know that the cable companies will throttle you way back if you start using too much bandwidth.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have to add, one good thing about using comcast is you don't ultimately need to use their modem in which they give you. What we did since the one they gave us crapped out, we went and bought a Linksys Cable Modem. and boy its good. The only thing you really need to do is call Comcast and tell them the serial number of the modem in order for them to give you access to the internet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the cable companies have agreements with the CITIES they serve. So if Comcast is a monopoly in your area, start nagging the city fathers to get some competition in there.

Several years back, Comcast was the one and only around here. Service was so-so and prices rose yearly. Well, they still rise, but not ridiculous amounts now.
Then WOW showed up. Comcast got real scared and service improved and prices stabilized.
And with the new technologies coming, Comcast will have to keep up, or people will leave in drives. I've read rumors about going up to 16/2.

What I find disgusting about Comcast though it GROSS inconsistencies on pricing. I'm in southeast Michigan. I have all the cable you can get (Platinum package) and internet. Total bill: $149
$101 for cable - includes High Def and all premium channels
42.95 for internet (I have my own modem or it would be more)

For you to pay $75 seems out of hand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh yeah, before comcast, i believe it was AT&T. They have like some of the worst customer service, just to pay a bill you have to wait in line for almost 45min. and then on top of it, Comcast calls my house at least 4-6 times a day. We're at the point of telling them to shove it where the sun don't shine. Even though we have the High Def and about 3 cable boxes. The High Def in my opinion isnt worth it, it freezes all the time. Then you have to keep on reseting the darn thing. and then the play the same movies over and over. and their "On Demand" is crap. FearNet is a piece of crap, no good movies at all. In their commericals they show the texas chainsaw, and all the other really gory movies. GAHHHH! it annoys me

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the cable companies have agreements with the CITIES they serve. So if Comcast is a monopoly in your area, start nagging the city fathers to get some competition in there
it won't help. here in NYC even with a tough attorney general, all our cable companies work together (Cablevision & TimeWarner) to maintain monopoly control of a given areas, and even collude to keep newcomers (RCN) out and eventually bankrupting them. Verizon FOIS is trying to break this monopoly control, but once they are better entrenched they will become just another monopolist. The only true competition is DSL and DirecTV because they either use wires already in play, or are limited to customers with roof rights available to a small minority in an urban jungle like NYC.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Comcase is not the SOLE internet provider for Chicago, It just happens it is that way in my neighborhood in Chicago.. Not all our neighborhoods get competition. SBC trucks were out here putting cables under the street....

If you in a inetractivemedia/webdesigner person like me, dialup isnt even worth the cost it is and highly ineffecient. As for phone lines also, we do not carry telephone, for it is not necessairy for us, just our cellphones.

I know the contract I agreed to, I am not complaining about that, I just think it is silly for them to do, I would figure that long time costomers would get discounts before new costomers. But you know marketing...

"If your skill set is such that you are only worth $5.15 an hour then perhaps you should examine your life and improve your skill set."

This is not about me, you are kinda harsh here. I am just examining the policy.
No my numbers with federal wage is not wrong, It is legally 5.15 and people get payed arround that 5.25, etc. Thing is it really isnt any differnt if it 5.15 or 5.25 or 5.32. This is still unacceptable pay especially for Bix Box Stores whoes Corperate makes billiosn JUST IN PROFIT, yes that is after taxes. Instead of makeing 25 billion profit maybe they can settle for 20 billion. As for mom and pops stores this may be harders... This is why I commend Chicago for having their minimum wage above federal. And from time to time they debate to increase it. For some of us in transtion in our lives, sometimes we have to settle for a mimimum job until the big nice jobs we are applying for call us back. Not all people in a minimum job are skilless wastes of lives or uneducated people. Somes are part time students paying rent, or living in a dorm and not wanting mom and dad to hand them out cash. Some are recent graduates in unpayed internships.I have some pretty damned good set skills, and i make decent money. I am not complaining for my self, but for the many people my age getting screwed. I think we have an age gap that might make some of these "pay" issues hard to understand...Especially since hte educations system is so "industriallized" where supply is about even that demand or lower and many of us are stuck accepting wages lower than we should just to get our foot in the doors. Too many people going for the same thing pretty much equal in skill level, especially in one of my fields of study.

the reason we pay 75 is because we get internet ONLY. they give you discounts if you get their televsion and phone. We do not watch television.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts