The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. So I broke down and bought this Gateway laptop right before Christmas. I needed a portable machine. Normally I build all my computers. But this MX6426 was on sale for $599 with a free Vista upgrade. Not a bad deal.

Now it was advertised as having up to 128 Megs of shared video memory. It's on the box. The computer is "Windows Vista Ultimate Ready" which means it HAS to have 128 Megs of video memory.

Problem is there is no way to bump the shared video memory up from the stock 64 Megs to 128 Megs. Seems a lot of people are having the same issue with this computer. I even upgraded the RAM to 2048 Megs from the stock 1024 Megs. No joy at all. So with a lot of trepidation I emailed Tech Support.

First email response told me that they were there to solve hardware and installed software issues and my problem was caused by a third party upgrade or software.

Second email response linked me to a document that's about 3 years out of date.

If anyone wants a good time then I can post the emails. I'm highly doubting that this problem is going to get solved though Tech Support. That's why I'm writing a letter to the CEO. If that receives no response then I'm guessing that a talk with a class action lawyer will be the next step. This is a large issue involving false advertising.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
sucks you didn't know about this issue beforehand.
a lot of games now require large amounts of video RAM,
so this shared gimmick just does not cut it anymore.
I just tried a game demo that didn't run cause
I "only" had 128mb of video RAM. oh well...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running the latest BIOS. And I must say that the online support system sucks as well. Gateway relies on your serial number for support purposes. Their system has NEVER recognized my serial number as valid. Makes it really hard to find files in their support system. I even registered the system on-line with them.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Are you sure it didn't "fall off a truck"? A mail truck perhaps? Nah, I'm just messing with you. Sorry to hear about the troubles, my parents have problems with dell whenever they have to call them. I usually end up taking a look at it anyway.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Surely they will issue a new bios version to take care of this if possible. Have you found out what exact MB you have and tried to look into the problem via the motherboard manufacturer? I know it should be taken care of by Dell and under warranty but the mother board manufacturer should be able to provide an elevated level of tech support at least. Or they might refer you back to Dell...

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a Gateway.

And the motherboard is a OEM motherboard as are 99.9% of all notebook motherboards. It's almost impossible to buy a notebook motherboard outside of the OEM world. And Gateway should write the BIOS. Even though this is a problem that should have never happened.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's a Gateway.

And the motherboard is a OEM motherboard as are 99.9% of all notebook motherboards. It's almost impossible to buy a notebook motherboard outside of the OEM world. And Gateway should write the BIOS. Even though this is a problem that should have never happened.
It would be REALLY nice if you were able to take the notebook into a gateway store (kiosk, corner, back of truck) and swap for one running Vista. Or make a big enough fuss that they offer to do the same?

I was lucky, I bought my EMachines notebook the week that they were bought. Turns out that mine is a re-branded and much lighter/thinner than the bricks Gateway introduced as the next EMachine.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have dispatched a letter to the CEO of Gateway.

I have a free Vista upgrade coming for this notebook.

I doubt a Gateway store will help me as I bought the notebook at Best Buy and of course they have been very helpful (NOT). In fact I'm actually wondering if there are any Gateway Stores left?

I finally got Tech Support to understand the problem. They told me that it would take 3-5 days for them to research the problem and get back to me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd double-check how long you can actually consider returning this to Best Buy for a full refund. Since the product sold is not what was promised - I'd think you'd be able to do that.

Of course you actually *want* was promised - so that may not exactly be a good solution either.

s

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tell them they falsley advertised and that you will not be paying a restocking fee because of this. Then return it. If you paid by CC contact your CC company and explain the situation of the false advertising and that they would not give you a full refund. let them know you have returned the item and reqquest a chargeback. Advise the counter clerk that if they do not give you your full refund this is the action that you will be taking as well you will be contacting the BBB as well as the attorney general.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
What does your PC need in order to run Windows Vista? At a minimum, says Microsoft, your PC should have at least an 800 MHz processor, 512 megabytes (MB) of system memory (RAM), and a graphics card with 128 MB of RAM. It's important to note that these specification are indeed for a minimum configuration, one which will not allow you to take advantage of all of Vista's performance enhancments.

If your PC is falls below Vista's hardware requirements or recommendations in one or more areas, which area should you worry about most? Your graphics card is probably the most important upgrade you can make in a computer that's less than four years old. That's because Vista's Aero interface draws heavily upon the graphics card. Not having enough graphics card memory will not allow you to experience Vista as it is intended to be used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.