The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Got a few more questions before I buy these guys.

Purigen - How do I measure out 10 mL of it? Doesn't come with a measuring device, what do I do?

I was thinking about getting a cheap canister filter to accompany a HOB filter and a sponge filter. Here's the one I was lookin' at:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle-Canister-Filter/dp/B0002DIRPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352263861&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+canister+filter
What do you guys think? I don't want one of those $70 ones, as this is just an add-on to a 10 gallon tank.

Is A grade the best to start out with? I want a grade that is easy(ish), but that can potentially produce high(er) grade offspring.

How long after cycling should I wait to get these guys?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Hey guys! Got a few more questions before I buy these guys.

Purigen - How do I measure out 10 mL of it? Doesn't come with a measuring device, what do I do?

I was thinking about getting a cheap canister filter to accompany a HOB filter and a sponge filter. Here's the one I was lookin' at:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtl...63861&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+canister+filter
What do you guys think? I don't want one of those $70 ones, as this is just an add-on to a 10 gallon tank.

Is A grade the best to start out with? I want a grade that is easy(ish), but that can potentially produce high(er) grade offspring.

How long after cycling should I wait to get these guys?

Thanks!
Use a graduated cylinder to measure 10ml. It's actually 10cc, since ml is a measurement of liquid.

But either way, that's less than a tablespoon. You don't have to be exact with purigen though, I'd just use a tablespoon if you're going to split up a bag of it.

You can use a canister, but I don't know why you want to if you already have an HOB AND a sponge filter.

For CRS, starting with SS grade is perfect. An SS grade is no harder to keep than an A grade shrimp. In fact, there is no difference in difficulty in A or SSS, and hasn't been for years. The reason people start off with lower grades is because they're cheaper when you eventually kill all of them by mistake ;)

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Use a graduated cylinder to measure 10ml. It's actually 10cc, since ml is a measurement of liquid. Oops, forgot about that. I'll see if I can find a graduated cylinder, but if I can't find it, I'll just use a tablespoon. Is it possible to add TOO MUCH Purigen?

But either way, that's less than a tablespoon. You don't have to be exact with purigen though, I'd just use a tablespoon if you're going to split up a bag of it.

You can use a canister, but I don't know why you want to if you already have an HOB AND a sponge filter. I wanted to get a canister because I saw nothing wrong with cleaner water, and the filter I was looking at was quite inexpensive. I just wanted some peace of mind for these beauties, I want to try soo hard to keep them alive!!

For CRS, starting with SS grade is perfect. An SS grade is no harder to keep than an A grade shrimp. In fact, there is no difference in difficulty in A or SSS, and hasn't been for years. The reason people start off with lower grades is because they're cheaper when you eventually kill all of them by mistake ;) I'll go with what I can afford. Found some good deals, I'll see if I can procure even more options. We'll see!

Thanks for your help!!

My reply is in red.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
A 10 gal, I don't see a reason to go Cannister plus sponge plus HOB. Really, an HOB and Sponge is enough for a 10gal. Getting the water params is more important than worrying about 100x over filtering. Keep the params proper and stable water will get you far more shrimp than adding another filter. Shrimp produce next to zero bioload, any filtration works. Plus, without buying a canister, you can have more money for shrimp :p

What are you planning for substrate, water, water additives, etc. That's the thing to nail down.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
He has several threads detailing his entire plan, it's pretty well crafted as far as I know, but I've only seen a couple of his threads. He does have one main thread though, it's called "Journey from X to X and X."

First, the amount of Purigen you use doesn't matter, if you're gonna stick it in your HOB I'd use a bit over 10cc. It won't leach anything so adding more won't have any negative effects.

Second, a canister, a sponge, and a HOB on a 10g is overkill, lose the canister or the HOB.

Lastly, I would start with SS or SSS. Like Mord kindly stated, there's not much difference in difficulty, just the price tag. ($3.50 for an A grade isn't that much less than $5 for an SS grade when you consider how much time you'll need culling to get them to SS) It also varies on the line of CRS too. Which ones are you getting?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't think 10cc of purigen's going to do much. Usually Seachem sells them in 100 mL (dunno why it's in mL, but oh well) bags. These bags can easily fit in an Aquaclear 20.

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 10 gal, I don't see a reason to go Cannister plus sponge plus HOB. Really, an HOB and Sponge is enough for a 10gal. Getting the water params is more important than worrying about 100x over filtering. Keep the params proper and stable water will get you far more shrimp than adding another filter. Shrimp produce next to zero bioload, any filtration works. Plus, without buying a canister, you can have more money for shrimp :p

What are you planning for substrate, water, water additives, etc. That's the thing to nail down.
Due to requests, I will forget the idea of a canister. I just thought uber clean water would be better lol.

I've got everything (And much more) in this thread, and I'm sure your help would be great!!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194532

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has several threads detailing his entire plan, it's pretty well crafted as far as I know, but I've only seen a couple of his threads. He does have one main thread though, it's called "Journey from X to X and X." Linked the thread for him. Should be in my sig too.

First, the amount of Purigen you use doesn't matter, if you're gonna stick it in your HOB I'd use a bit over 10cc. It won't leach anything so adding more won't have any negative effects. I'll make sure it's a couple tablespoons, the more the merrier :) . The problem I had for using the whole bottle is that it's kinda hard to find around my area, and has a price tag too.

Second, a canister, a sponge, and a HOB on a 10g is overkill, lose the canister or the HOB. I will drop the canister idea.

Lastly, I would start with SS or SSS. Like Mord kindly stated, there's not much difference in difficulty, just the price tag. ($3.50 for an A grade isn't that much less than $5 for an SS grade when you consider how much time you'll need culling to get them to SS) It also varies on the line of CRS too. Which ones are you getting? Found a deal for $6 each for SS grade CRS and if I buy ten, I get two free. Maybe I'll do that. Whaddya think?
My replies are in red.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1. No links exist in your signature, I actually linked to that thread yesterday but edited it out.

2. Purigen is costly but you can just regenerate and reuse for a very long time. The amount you use now doesn't really matter, using more might be better because you could go longer without having to regenerate it all.

3. 12 for $60 is an okay deal. (Not including shipping) You're not getting any specific lines, just a mix?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts