The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short history. I believe we had BBA before though it didn't react like BBA. The only way we ended up being rid of it was pulling out anything that had signs of whatever algae was on it and planting quick growing stem plants.

My problem is that some algae has come back now after a couple of months even though the tank is looking awesome. What more can we do? We are afraid it's going to tank over the tank and decimate it.

Water parameters are always good, water changes are regular and is RO/DI water that has 0 TDS, we use this in our other low tech tank and my reef tank.

Tank has a mix of Amazonia I and II soil, pressurized CO2 that comes on 1 hr before lights and goes off 1 hr before lights off. CO2 is controlled with a pH controller that is cross referenced with a drop checker so I don't have to keep calibrating the sensor. Runs through a UV filter. 2x39W T5HO light that are on for 7-8 hours.

Bio load is light to moderate I imagine, we have RCS in there, nerite snails, galaxy rasboras and some true siamese algae eaters.

3 day black outs didnt work in the past and squirting peroxide directly on it didn't kill it either. During the first outbreak I had tried high CO2 with 24hr feed so there would be no fluctuations.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I can't get it under control I'm tempted to tear it down :(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Tank size

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will attempt to get a picture. As for fertz my wife doses them randomly if at all. Won't the fertz with this much growth just help the algae?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Will attempt to get a picture. As for fertz my wife doses them randomly if at all. Won't the fertz with this much growth just help the algae?
With that much light and CO2 being all willy nilly with ferts is causing your algae issues.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I will put this discussion on hold and stress to my wife about the ferts :p if she doesn't want to deal with it maybe we can get a dosing pump.

I'm to busy with the upkeep of my reef tank to take on hers as well, lol.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Show her teh EI dosing method, would take literally 2 minutes a day to dose the tank.

Craig

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Plants look pretty heathy. I don't think ferts is a problem. I think it's just too much light. Lift the fixture up a foot and any tank will have a little algae. You're not having a full blown algae bloom so things are manageable.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lack of proper ferts causes algae, especially in high light co2 injected tanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree. Either raise lighting fixture to reduce overall lighting or maintain proper ferts and CO2 to keep everything in balance. It's the only way to control algae growth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts