The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm semi-new to the FWP scene. Been a successful reef-keeper for almost 4 years now, and just recently I was bitten hard by the FWP bug. :eek5:

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading and have decided to go with a minimalistic style of simple aquascaping. I figured I might as well start a journal to keep up w/the progress of my cube.

Here is a list of what I plan to keep/use:
  • Tank: 200x200x200mm Glass Cube (Alife) -- Approx 8L (~2G)
  • Filtration: Azoo Palm Filter
  • Lighting: 18W PC (6,700K) Desktop Light** Changed to a 12" 2x18w Coralife PC Fixture
  • Substrate: ADA AquaSoil Amazonia
  • Aquascape: Seiryu Stone
  • Supplements: ADA CO2 System (1 bubble per 4-5 seconds), Seachem Line
  • Plants: Hemianthus callitrichoides, Utricularia graminifolia
  • Livestock: N/A
Goodies:

The tank came with filter & ghetto 7W lighting, it also has "edge" bracing.
I took the corners off and scraped off the excess silicone.
Since the tank is small (~2G), I don't worry about the tank bursting.

Here is the "first" full tank shot :) (not pictured: heater & filter)

I'm waiting on a few other things to arrive in the mail (substrate/misc. materials), so the tank will be empty for some time. Thanks for looking :)

--Daniel

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sol- I got the tank from Aquatic Warehouse (when you walk in there's a display of this tank opposite the register). They have had theirs set up for quite some time now. Never seen the tank offered elsewhere here in SoCal. As for the light, I found it at Home Depot for $29.99 I had the chance to pick up the "other" HD desktop light that everyone else is using ($19.99) 27W quad fixture, but I figured this one was way more "sleek" :icon_cool

Finch- Don't have any more pics at the moment to share, sorry! Once I get my substrate and some rocks I'll be sure to post and update :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finch- Yea... I have an idea of aquascaping in mind that is similar to an iwagumi style tank, but I won't know for certain until I get my substrate and rocks in the tank. I ordered some AquaSoil (Amazonia) and am currently waiting on that. Hopefully it will come in before the weekend arrives :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
SD, right?

Some kid on here has one, I think.

You said, "other" HD light, you mean the blue housing one??

Looks nice all empty:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep SD :) ... and you're right, I saw another member on the boards w/this tank.

The "other" HD light is the one that Sol is using (27w).

Hope he doesn't mind me linking it:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm so going to AW after work today. Hope the gf doesn't mind yet another tank. She gave me approval for a new tank at home, but this will mean 2 new tanks. I have a good spot for it though.... :tongue:

Which HD did you go to?

·
Registered
420 Posts
OMG that light looks like Robocop ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Felix- Thanks :)

Sol- Haha, when u make it "frameless" make sure you buy a pack of razor blades too and get ready to set aside an hour or so to scrape off the silicone!

Joey- I am sure you can always ask to see if they will ship you the tank. They seem to keep a regular stock of them on hand. Just call and ask for the "Alife 2G Tank" ... The contact info for Aquatic Warehouse is:
Aquatic Warehouse:
5466 Complex Street Suite 204
San Diego, CA 92123
United States
858-467-9297

Yoko- Now you see why I chose the "other" light :) heh

Dufus & Haeun- The tank itself is fairly expensive, it came as a kit for $69. The kit includes a 50GPH filter, and a clip-on 7W light. The light from HD was another $29, so I spent a total of about $100 on the hardware so far.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Haeun, gonna start breeding shrimp? ;)

Yoshi, Post up the ghetto 7w, I wanna see :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yoko- Here's a pic of the 7W fixture that the tank comes with.

RESguy- Thanks :) ...I really wanted a CUBE tank, and this was the ONLY glass cube that I could find (besides DIY) that looked like it had potential, so I didn't mind splurging a bit to pay for what I wanted. $100 still beats the $50(tank)+160(light) = $210 for the ADA Mini setup!

Also, if anyone is wondering about the filter it comes bundled with:

Regarding the filter, I think it may be a wee bit too much at 50GPH for only a 2G tank... this means at full power it's going to be pushing about x25 turnover!

I can definitely throttle it back, but I'm thinking of just getting an AZOO Palm Filter b/c the ALIFE is also very bulky. Do you guys think I should switch to the AZOO or just keep this one?

Also, not sure what I'm goin to do about heating. I do have a spare 50W stealth heater, but it is pretty unsightly (big black stick in my tank). With my room temperature averaging between 72-77 (no AC), will I still need a heater? Will RCS/Amano Shrimp and/or HC be OK within this temperature range? ...or do they prefer a more SPECIFIC temp? (sorry for all the Q's). Thanks in advance :redface:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also, not sure what I'm goin to do about heating. I do have a spare 50W stealth heater, but it is pretty unsightly (big black stick in my tank). With my room temperature averaging between 72-77 (no AC), will I still need a heater? Will RCS/Amano Shrimp and/or HC be OK within this temperature range? ...or do they prefer a more SPECIFIC temp? (sorry for all the Q's). Thanks in advance :redface:
My RCS are perfectly content in their unheated tank. I keep my apt in the same range as you. It got down to 66/68 one night and the next morning I flipped on the light and noticed a bunch of new babies. Probably coincidence, but obviously, it wasn't problematic.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.