The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So I brought a 47 gallon tall column aquarium and yes I am familiar with the school of thought that long is better than tall :) I have a 72 gallon bow front and love it, but I have always liked how tall tanks look so I am going for it. I am planning on keeping small fish so length shouldn't be a huge problem. Anyways I have several questions and would be grateful for any advice.

Lighting - I bought a 20 inch Finnex 24/7 planted light. Will this be enough light to reach the bottom or do I need to buy another one? If something else would be better I am willing to look at those options too but I do like LED. Also, Is there any kind of underwater lighting I could put in at the bottom if the lighting from above is not enough??

Filter - What type of filter would you recommend? I have used both HOB's and External filters. I tend to like HOB's a little better however.

Surface Agitation - Someone at a LFS told me to put a power head at the bottom for water movement since it's taller. Do you agree? I was planning on putting an airstone line against the back to help with this as well.

It will be a low tech tank with moderately hard water. Any plant suggestions? I have plants in my current tank but am always looking for something new.

Thanks in advance!!

Joy

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Vals would look spectacular in this tank, as would most vertical growing stem plants (Bacopa, for example) For lighting I would look for a LED pendant type light, similar to the Kessil lights. Ideally you would use one that you could suspend about a foot above the top of the tank. Kessil lights are very expensive, but I suspect there are much cheaper versions available.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 24/7 PAR is similar to the RAY 2. Based on these charts:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/145-finnex/189944-finnex-ray-ii-fugeray-par-data.html

I'm not sure you will have much light at all. I would guess about 10-15 PAR at the highest setting. Keep in mind that if you want to use the 24/7 setting it is only at peak brightness for about 3 hours. You would probably be ok if you set it on High and put it on a timer though.

I think some surface agitation is always good. If you use a HOB filter, I'm not sure an airstone is necessary. A powerhead would definitely help with water circulation. I wouldn't put it on the bottom though (this may be difficult with such a tall tank anyway), just point it downward.

As for plants, I would go with the standard low light plants: Java fern, anubias, crypts, and bobitis. I also think bucephalandra are awesome. If you don't get enough light at the bottom, many of these plants can be attached to driftwood and rocks higher up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.