The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have any suggestions please feel free, but I am gonna go with my instinct on this one. I believe there to be an Iron deficiency in my tank. I am using Tahitian Moon Sand and as everyone knows it is inert. Nothing in it at all. So, the only place to get nutrients is through me remembering to dump ferts in the tank. The Specifics of the issue are a complete yellowing of the NEW growth leaves, the 2 at the very tip of the growing end of the Rhizome. I have identified this as a high proability of it being "General Chlorosis". The entire leave surface including veins has turned Yellow. This is different from "Marginal Chlorosis" or "Interveinal Chlorosis" where just the edges or the leaf or the areas of the leaf between Veins are yellowing respectively.

I believe the Iron deficiency to be minimal due to the fact that of ALL the Anubias in the tank the Coffeeafolia is the only one with Yellowing leaves. I plan to double up the dose of Chelated Iron fertilizer to 2 x 10ml per week to see if it solves the issue.

Again, If I'm way off track here someone please offer up some advice.

*Crossing fingers*

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
When you say 'new growth leaves' how new are you referring to. Leaf buds on my coffefolia are yellow. The young leaves gradually darken to the normal deep green as they mature over the course of a few weeks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When you say 'new growth leaves' how new are you referring to. Leaf buds on my coffefolia are yellow. The young leaves gradually darken to the normal deep green as they mature over the course of a few weeks.

Same thing I was thinking cause my Anubias coffeefolia leaves are bright yellow when they're first opening up.

Post a picture of said A. coffeefolia for better analysis.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bharada, the new growth are the 3 leaves that have sprouted since I bought it. Of the 3 leaves that have sprouted, the top one (axial) and the 3rd one have turned Yellow. The one in the middle is green. That being said, there are some other yellowing/necrosing leaves on my Anubias. It doesn't help that I am being hit with a Beard algae problem at the same time as this though. One of my Sword plants has it really bad. I was going to trim the affected leaves tonight when I get home.

Here is a picture of the Coffeafolia. DIAL UP WARNING! Its probably a 1MB file, I don't know. Its big though. Coffeeafolia is Middle left on the verticle driftwood. Look at the leaves on the right, 2 are yellow and one Green New growth leave. Its not a trick of the camera blowing the white balance out of proportion, thats how they really look. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...-cube-journal-its-been-long-5.html#post401159

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice tank.

I see what you're talking about now. According to your picture, it looks like one of the new leaves is dying and turning yellow all the way down to the rhizome. I can see a new leave at the top but it looks healthy.

Do the leaves completely unfurl like normal and then once all the way open, they turn yellow and die? That's really odd because all of your other plants look lush and healthy. I don't have a conclusion. Sorry.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, exactly. The new leaves are normal in size and they unfurl and flatten like they should. The Coffeeafolia looked normal when I bought it, in need of a little care and some good lighting as it was pretty beat up, lots of brown spots on the leaves. Then I stick it in my tank and the top leaves start to yellow within 2 weeks time. But one of them remains Green... I just don't want that plant to perish as its awfully hard to find Coffeeafolia anywhere these days, especially at an LFS.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The only thing I can think of is because you have it directly underneath your lights on that piece of driftwood. I believe most, if not all Anubias, like semi shaded areas of the aquarium. Perhaps it's affecting the new leaves when they unfurl because they're the closest to the light. The other leaves are ok because they're somewhat shaded by the new growth.

I could be totally wrong here, but that's the only thing I can think of right now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing I can think of is because you have it directly underneath your lights on that piece of driftwood. I believe most, if not all Anubias, like semi shaded areas of the aquarium. Perhaps it's affecting the new leaves when they unfurl because they're the closest to the light. The other leaves are ok because they're somewhat shaded by the new growth.

I could be totally wrong here, but that's the only thing I can think of right now.

Interesting idea. I guess 55w of 5500k lighting 8" from you all day wouldn't be very nice. I'll look into that. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'll have to "second" what Cydric said. I had Anubias coffefolia in a 20g high light tank a while back that showed those EXACT same symptoms. All new growth was yellow and no matter what I dosed, Co2 levels, etc, it never really greened up. This was a tank with little or no shaded areas, with 5.5wpg. I finally decided that it must have been getting "burnt" or at least that the high light was causing it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts