The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i was in the LFS last night and saw they had a tank of yellow tinted tetra type fish - it had the same body style as a large neon but the colour was a pearlescent dull/dirty yellow, no red markings on the eyes or fins etc

there wasnt a name plate or anyone about that knew what they were.

any ideas??

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would advise posting a picture. Descriptions alone are not sufficient and there are over hundreds of tetra species, not just a few dozens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Young glowlight tetras can look amazingly dull. Often, you don't see much of the glowing stripe, and the red on the dorsal fin may come later. The white fin tips develop last.

Young rummynose tetras in hard water might also fit the bill. They are somewhat yellow, young ones have hardly recognizable black stripes in the tail fin, and in hard water they might not show their red noses.

But, as has been said, there are countless possibilities ;).

·
Registered
234 Posts
yea, agreed snagg us a photo. but my guess would be silvertips ( try searching them in google) most tetras recieved by major suppliers have there full colors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys i was back at the locl shop and noted the latin name... and guess what they are silver tips! they didnt have any white obvious tips -untill u looked very very hard then could see it.

thans for the tips guys.!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.