The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf bought Yellow shrimps through our local forum awhile back and the majority of them turned the same color as the one shown here. He bought 15 and only 5 stayed yellow while the other 10 turned greenish yellow after we have feed them spinach and lettuce. We can't tell from their offsprings yet. We doubt it could be the food because the other 5 didn't change.

Any ideas?
This is EXACTLY what they look like (picture from james0816):

·
Registered
45 Posts
They will turn green if you feed them food that contains Astaxanthin. My turned a real dark blue/green and even the eggs of berried shrimp turned green. I don't know about any veggies that will turn them green though. My shrimp stayed green for a good 6 weeks after I fed them.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
They will turn green if you feed them food that contains Astaxanthin. My turned a real dark blue/green and even the eggs of berried shrimp turned green. I don't know about any veggies that will turn them green though. My shrimp stayed green for a good 6 weeks after I fed them.
Agreed. Food with astaxanthin will turn them green/blue. I've had that happen to me when I fed them cyclop-eeze.

If they were yellow when you got them then it's most likely reversible --they weren't born like that so you just to figure out what's causing it. Is the lettuce you're using red/purple? Try feeding them something else like regular fish food and see what happens.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a bummer. If fish and shrimp foods have it due to "shrimp meal", then what choice do I have other than feeding than flakes?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
A varied diet. Not all shrimp foods have it. In fact, in that sampler pack, the only foods that have it are the hinomaru bento and the fluval shrimp food.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Well for me, I don't feed any "specialty" food or shrimp specific food. Just regular old veggie flakes and sticks from Ken's. They also get the occassional zuccinni.

If it were food related, the bigger question would be, in my case, why is it only one shrimp out of the near 20 that are in there that has changed color? That's a bigger mystery if you ask me. ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I posted the same thing about 2 weeks ago. I still have 3 out of ~20 yellows that are a green hue with almost day-glo, greenish-yellow accents. Pretty, but odd,

And I'm using three of Ken's products...

·
Registered
45 Posts
The green effect will remain for weeks on a shrimp and even then sometimes when i'm adding/pulling plants I'll start to see some shrimp with a tint of green so I believe the Astaxanthin will remain in the substrate for some time. As for only five of the shrimp turning green, those were the greedy ones that ran off with the food and ate it behind the filter intake.:icon_bigg

·
Registered
802 Posts
Stress can also make yellow shrimp turn green - stressed shrimp tend to turn blueish, so on a shrimp that starts yellow, the added blue makes for green shrimp. Similarly, stressed cherries can turn purple...

I once unknowingly OD'ed panacur in a yellow shrimp colony. Imagine my surprise when I woke up the next day to a pile of dead planaria and bright green shrimp! A few days and a couple large water changes later, everyone was back to normal. :)

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are turning back slightly to yellow now that I just feed them wafers. The chance is very very slow. Still very green : (

·
Registered
862 Posts
u know ur yellow shrimps look more green than my Green babaulti
im so jealous :p
im gonna feed my shrimps spinach with lettuce tomorrow

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u know ur yellow shrimps look more green than my Green babaulti
im so jealous :p
im gonna feed my shrimps spinach with lettuce tomorrow
Not my picture but yeah, even at its fading point now, my green yellow shrimps is still 2x greener than that picture :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
They heard about "going green" and thought it would be a good idea, is all.
Good one :hihi:

Does this make anyone else think of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? You know the part "Violet you're turning violet." then she blue up like a plum. I sure did, made me think that the other shrimp that remained yellow said "Fred, your turning green!!!!"

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good one :hihi:

Does this make anyone else think of willy wonka and the chocolate factory? You know the part "violet you're turning violet." then she blue up like a plum. I sure did, made me think that the other shrimp that remained yellow said "fred, your turning green!!!!"
lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts