The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shrimp guy from Singapore told me today that he has yellow shrimp from India. I asked him for a picture, but correspondence is slow and I wonder if it really is something like a rainbow shrimp Caridina cf. babaulti , and if they'd breed true. I hate language barriers!
Depending on the cost, I suppose I should try them out. Valentine's day is coming up...
Has anyone ever heard of yellow shrimp from india?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Did a quick search on Google and it doesn't seem like there are true-breeding yellow varieties, but most breeders aren't from the USA so the search might be skewed there.

Hopefully miliac will see this post. =)

·
Banned
418 Posts
My shrimp guy from Singapore told me today that he has yellow shrimp from India. I asked him for a picture, but correspondence is slow and I wonder if it really is something like a rainbow shrimp Caridina cf. babaulti , and if they'd breed true. I hate language barriers!
Depending on the cost, I suppose I should try them out. Valentine's day is coming up...
How hard are they to find? I have a few friends in Singapore where he can take pics and translate. I will actually be going out later this year for a wedding. I'll be sure to ship back several boxes.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beats me, he just shot me a little email this morning confirming my shipment of tigers and that he has nice yellow shrimp from india. He knows my weakness!
If it's a yellow version of the cherry, that would be fantastic... they can go in the tiger tank ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
? so now cherry shrimp should be known as Neocaridina Heteropoda instead of Denticulata sinesis? Why do people change this? I'm mystified by science... Also I've read they renamed the Amano shrimp to Caridina something soemthing. But I hear japonica still... Stupid namers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm. The guy said they were from India though, and as I recall cherry shrimp (wild type) are from Taiwan? We'll see if he has time to email me back tomorrow morning and if he has a few more details.
Edit: unless that is where his producer is located, I guess.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The yellow shrimp from that German site look great:drool: They would look very cool mixed with Red Cherries and Green Shrimp :D You can have a rainbow tank of shrimp:icon_mrgr

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
There is a yellow version that is true breedng of the cherry shrimp. Ive seen it on some german sites.
The yellow shrimp from that German site look great:drool: They would look very cool mixed with Red Cherries and Green Shrimp :D You can have a rainbow tank of shrimp:icon_mrgr
The problem is that if the yellow version is a "cherry" shrimp, mixing RCS and the yellow shrimp will allow them to interbreed and destroy their true-breeding color lines.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Haha, too difficult. =)

Just have different species of shrimp together. ;)

Tigers, CRS, Neocaridina heteropoda sp. "yellow"...etc =)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The problem is that if the yellow version is a "cherry" shrimp, mixing RCS and the yellow shrimp will allow them to interbreed and destroy their true-breeding color lines.
It is the yellow version of the cherry shrimp. It will hybridize with cherry.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Watch out from Indian shrimp. There is a very high possibility they are just rainbow shrimp and not the same as the yellow one in the german site.

-Pedro

·
Registered
200 Posts
I may be old fassion, but i prefer sicentific names over common names. THere are more variation of common names of certain species that there are names changes to class genus or specie names. They get reclassified as more study goes along, so ifyou see scientific names changes, it means they are more than likely being studdied a bit more, especially these days with DNA testing and one can rely more then on anitomical structure for classification.

As for the yellow shrimp, I cannot wait for them to become more available. Very attractive.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
There is a yellow version that is true breedng of the cherry shrimp. Ive seen it on some german sites.
Yep They are true, now if that person you know has them is a whole different story!

Does anyone have them in the USA? I don't think there is anyone so can anyone prove me wrong? Milalic maybe, but other than that maybe Mike a FWinverts...

-Andrew

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pedro... you lucky ****.
Shrimp guy got back to me. Sigh. These guys are crazy expensive. Looks like I'll have to wait and scrounge up the cash to purchase them.
Pedro... when do you think these guys will breed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts