The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't currently show you the two shrimp in question because I can't find my camera's USB cable to transfer the photos.

Both shrimp are gravid (isn't that a great SAT word) females and about the time they berried, they took on a distinctly green hue as though they had been dyed. I'm talking St Patrick's Day Kelly green with golden/yellow highlights... They are really beautiful and they're only two of more than 10 females in my Ebi.

I can only guess it's somehow hormonal in nature. Does anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
448 Posts
what food do you feed them? i have brown hybrids of cherries and when i feed the hikari wafers they turn this blue hue.. after i checked the ingredients there's blue dye in it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Actually, it might be a result of stress. I had it happen once with my yellow colony; they reacted badly to a dose of Panacur (or perhaps a resulting ammonia spike due to planaria dieoff) and I lost one or two shrimp - the rest turned bright green. After I did a 90% water change and gave them a few days to recover, they were back to yellow.

Could be something about breeding that caused stress, or it could be a result of something in the water, and the berried females are just the first to react b/c they're more sensitive. Or, as others have said, maybe you're feeding them blue dye without realizing it (in that case, though, I'd expect all the shrimp to be green. I'd do a water change just to be safe. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts