The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. On my amazon sword in my tank, it's been in there around a month or so. It has sprouted recently in the past few weeks 4-5 new leaves. But some of the existing ones that aren't new I have noticed are decaying with yellow spots. Is this a potassium issue? Just seems strange that some leaves are healthy looking with new ones coming up and some are decayed looking.

I am using root tabs as well as Seachem flourish and iron if this helps at all.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sounds like it could either be emersed growth leaves that came with it dying off, or a macro deficiency (K) to me. Are the leaves in question differently shaped, or are they leaves that have grown in some nice it's been in the tank?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, I'd second old leaves dying off. Especially after a move and with new growth.

In my experience with swords, plant tabs are all they need. And trim leaves as soon as they start looking tattered. It will help to spur new growth. No new growth? Time to add more plant tabs.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got it at a LFS and it was fully submerged in the tank. So I would assume it's not that.

It's only the older leaves. And they are all the same shape. One strange thing I noticed is the only difference is that the new growth seems to be a bit different color. More of a reddish brown tinge at the top. And the leaves are really long.

I did order some Seachem Potassium. I don't know if this will help or not.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Swords will pull nutrients from old leaves and use them for new growth, so you will retain more nutrients by leaving the leaf there until they melt most of the way down before trimming.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Definitely not been my experience. :)

Trimming has always helped my tanks.

How has it helped? I mean, it does look better trimmed, but I have found that when nutrient deficient, removing such a leaf only seemed to accelerate another following suit. Could be my expectations creeping I to my observations though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
How has it helped? I mean, it does look better trimmed, but I have found that when nutrient deficient, removing such a leaf only seemed to accelerate another following suit. Could be my expectations creeping I to my observations though.

Well in light of a deficiency then that makes some sense. I wasn't thinking that.

Since @Blackheart was using plant tabs with new growth I just assumed that was not the case. And pretty much every Amazon sword I've ever kept, whether I was growing submersed or emmersed, had a die off in the beginning. Some plants more than others.

With the use of plant tabs, I've never experienced accelerated die off after trimming. But that's just my experience, doesn't mean it can't happen. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well in light of a deficiency then that makes some sense. I wasn't thinking that.

Since @Blackheart was using plant tabs with new growth I just assumed that was not the case. And pretty much every Amazon sword I've ever kept, whether I was growing submersed or emmersed, had a die off in the beginning. Some plants more than others.

With the use of plant tabs, I've never experienced accelerated die off after trimming. But that's just my experience, doesn't mean it can't happen. :)

That makes sense. When I saw that, it was before I was using ferts, so I think what we both have seen makes sense. I haven't seen much die off since I began fertilizing at each water change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.