The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am not a active breeder nor really plan on it I just like having a lot of shrimps in my 30 gallon community tanks. I purchased 18 "yellow Bee shrimp" which I'm under the impression are just a fancy name for yellow neos. I have a cherry tank as well, but my yellows keep only throwing wild varieties while cherries are doing just fine for fry color wise. Why is this happening? They have a varied diet and calcium supplements. Was I sold bad/altered stock or is genetics just being a brat?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
They look like yellow neos. I'd check just to be sure if they're Neos, since the only time I've heard of "bee" shrimp it's been in reference to Caridinas.

I'm of the opinion that genetics is just being a brat.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sounds like you bought em from Petco... or another "similar" store.... definitely cherry shrimp!

Any chance you could move the yellows to another tank? Since they'd be the easiest to find and catch. More specifically, all the males and any non-berried females. See if they continue producing clear and wild types?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look like yellow neos. I'd check just to be sure if they're Neos, since the only time I've heard of "bee" shrimp it's been in reference to Caridinas.

I'm of the opinion that genetics is just being a brat.
They're definitely Neos since I have a tank with cherries and yellows and they've interbred. The shop I got them from just told me that the fancy color is called Yellow Bee. That's why I put it in quotations. I have about 4 tanks and the only problems I've had was with this batch I bought slapping so many wild varieties. I don't mind them, so they'll be going in my free for all tank with the others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you bought em from Petco... or another "similar" store.... definitely cherry shrimp!

Any chance you could move the yellows to another tank? Since they'd be the easiest to find and catch. More specifically, all the males and any non-berried females. See if they continue producing clear and wild types?
I've already moved almost all the wild and clears into my free for all tank. I didn't buy them from petco, but from a local shop who had pretty good reviews and is one of the more well known shops around for selling good quality stock, they just called the color "yellow bee" but they're definitely Neos since in my free for all tank I have a couple mixed with some cherries and they've interbred all over the place. Wilds are actually really cool looking to me, same with the clears so I let them do their thing in a separate tank.

2 of the females have berried so I'm hoping this next batch either corrects the problem, or I'll be moving the whole lot over to the free for all tank and getting a separate line of yellow Neos from a shrimp breeder to hopefully avoid this from happening again.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Yellow + red can result in wild type....

If the females had mated with a non-yellow type, then the offspring are likely to be wild type as well...

If not Petco, was thinking that perhaps they have the same supplier and that's what the supplier has them labeled as?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yellow + red can result in wild type....

If the females had mated with a non-yellow type, then the offspring are likely to be wild type as well...

If not Petco, was thinking that perhaps they have the same supplier and that's what the supplier has them labeled as?
Oh I should clarify, I have 3 shimp tanks. All community tanks. One is cherry only, one is yellow only, one is where I toss all the ones that aren't super colorful/wild type (I call it my free for all tank), there are cherries and yellows in the free for all tank that have produced some wilds and some striped reds and yellows. The solid yellow tank is the one having a problem where wild varieties are popping up a ton where it theoretically shouldn't be.

I thought they used private breeders since they locally source all their stock, but I'll have to ask... I dislike petco fish stock as much as the next person, so I'd be angry they misled me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know what you find out!
We got some yellow babs, and since now I'm questioning all my sanity, can you verify for me these are Neos or Caridina? I was sure that in my mixed tank they've interbred buuut, now my stock is questionable since my fish shop uses 3-4 suppliers for the their shrimp and can't tell me which one mine came from, so I just want verification.
Screenshot_20210213-175001.jpg

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
That opaque color says Neo.... yellow caridinas are typically clear. I haven't seen any that have that yellow opaque color on them. I have seen WHITE opaque, but not yellow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I've seen a bunch of opaque yellow Caridina in the EU, those are definitely Neos.
OKay thank goodness, that's what I intended to buy, so at least my fish guy sold me the right species, I wonder why they were called "yellow bee neos"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts