The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, after getting some yeast muck on my diffuser I decided to make a bubble counter/gas separator to address this issue. Anyway, today I noticed some yeast muck on my diffuser. What am I doing wrong here? The intake gas tube on the gas separator is submerged in the water, in case you're wondering.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Even with the bubble counter/gas separator, you will eventually get some yeast muck on your diffuser. There just is no way around it; the separator will slow it down a bit, but it will eventually still make its way onto the diffuser.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with the bubble counter/gas separator, you will eventually get some yeast muck on your diffuser. There just is no way around it; the separator will slow it down a bit, but it will eventually still make its way onto the diffuser.
Thank you. I was under the impression from DIY articles that it would fix that issue. Anyway, looks like I will have to move to a pressurized system eventually.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hello all, after getting some yeast muck on my diffuser I decided to make a bubble counter/gas separator to address this issue. Anyway, today I noticed some yeast muck on my diffuser. What am I doing wrong here? The intake gas tube on the gas separator is submerged in the water, in case you're wondering.

Is it the white fuzzy stuff on the ceramic disc? I have that too and I am trying to read more post about it. I guess it is from the yeast? I guess my separate bubble counter (a small water bottle) doesn't do the trick......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it the white fuzzy stuff on the ceramic disc? I have that too and I am trying to read more post about it. I guess it is from the yeast? I guess my separate bubble counter (a small water bottle) doesn't do the trick......
I'm using a air stone in the bubble counter. So far no yeast muck on my ceramic disc.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm using a air stone in the bubble counter. So far no yeast muck on my ceramic disc.

My yeast mixture bottle is 2L.
What is the size of your separator/bubble counter bottle? Right now, I am using a small 6oz gatarade bottle. Should I use a larger bottle to increase the time the bubbles need to travel in the bubble counter bottle... but then i am also afraid that more co2 will be able to dissolve into the bubble counter bottle, and not into the water where it needs to go......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the size of your separator/bubble counter bottle? Right now, I am using a small 6oz gatarade bottle. Should I use a larger bottle to increase the time the bubbles need to travel in the bubble counter bottle... but then i am also afraid that more co2 will be able to dissolve into the bubble counter bottle, and not into the water where it needs to go......
I'm using a the same bottle as my yeast mixture which is a 1.8L apple juice bottle. I'm having the line run deeper in my bubble counter and yes that does increase the time the bubble travels in the water. However, I don't think my CO2 is affected as much.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
but then i am also afraid that more co2 will be able to dissolve into the bubble counter bottle, and not into the water where it needs to go......
eventually the bouble counter will reach the co2 saturation point and it wont matter.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I get this same white muck in my drop check right at the bottom where the water evaporates from the DC. I use pressurized C02.
I wonder what this is and how to prevent it.
Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts