The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions to make my own CO2 system? The one I bought from PetsMart just doesn't seem to be doing the job. I've also purchased 2 sets of "activator" and "stabalizer" packages from the manufacturer that were totally flat, no CO2 generated at all. Is there a recepie I can use to make my own with bakers yeast from the grocery store?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm brand new to planted tanks and so far am totally enamered with my 30G tank even though my plants don't seem to be growing as fast as I had expected.
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

·
Registered
933 Posts
What I did was to use 3 2 liter pop bottles. I drilled a tight hole in the cap and pulled the hose through. I would refill one bottle a week with 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp regular yeast, and water from the tap up to about 4 inches from the top. The reason I did three bottles, one refilled a week was to give your tank a much steady supply of C02. Do a search on DIY C02, you should find recipes and make sure it is 1 cup sugar. Might be 2.

·
Registered
786 Posts
the activator packet is just bread yeast you find at the supermarket
the stabilizer packet is just baking soda

If they're old or you got the water too hot, you get nada.

I would recommend however, that you go to a local brewing/winemaking shop and buy a small packet of Champagne yeast. It's designed to survive in high acidity and alcohol environments, so the solutions lasts a lot longer than the bread yeast does. You can also order champagne yeast online for a couple bucks. You only need about 1/8 teaspoon each time, so keep the rest in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Also, the kit you have is great but sniff around each connection just in case you have a leak. Make sure everything is tight and secure.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts