The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about running Co2. I just got into trying to run C02 in the form of a yeast bottle. For those that running these setups what do you do at night? I got the bottle producing Co2 day and I am at work now didn't know it would start this soon. (Know it is producing cause of my wife ) will it produce to much for the fish a night?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use diy co2 for my 55g and 15g tanks.
I have read and been told that it really isn't a real issue.
diy co2 really doesn't produce high enough concentrations to
kill your fish.I leave it going 24 hours a day. I have 2 two liter bottles going on my 55g with no issues.
You can look up other opinions in the diy thread under "diy co2" .You could also run an air pump at night if it makes you feel safer regarding your fish.I will supply more oxygen and deplete the co2.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just let it run, I let my Paintball CO2 run the whole night at 6 bubbles per sec. you won't outgas fish at less or max 1 bubble per sec. ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
While not common, you most certainly can gas your critters with DIY CO2. You never know when your mix is going to hit the sweet spot and produce gas like crazy.

Many folks get more than a single bubble per second. I use champagne yeast and get 3-4 BPS for several weeks.

If you're concerned about DIY at night, you could consider using an airstone and make sure you've got some decent surface agitation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I have an issue right now with it so it is not even getting Co2 into the tank. Not sure what the problem is? When I pull the line of the top of the bottle it hiss so it has pressure there. I think it is the check valve holding it back. Do you even need a check valve with DIY Co2? I will occasionally see bubbles coming out of the airstone. I don't think I have any leaks since the line is some what pressurized. Any thoughts on this? I think I got the wrong yeast to start with also. I got a different kind and am going to redo the bottle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.