The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tank was started on 09.11.2006 (dd.mm.yy)

Tank Size: 160x70x60(h) cm

Volume: 672 Lt. ( 168G )

Plants: Glossostigma elatinoides (Tropica) Lobelia cardinalis (Tropica) Echinodorus Cordifolius ssp. Fluitans (Tropica) Eleocharis "parvula" (Tropica) Cryptocorne Petchii , Cryptocoryne Crispatula var. Balansae (Tropica) Micranthemum Umbrosum (Tropica) Vallisneria Spiralis "Tiger" (Tropica)

Fish/Animals: 20 Otocinclus Affinis 25 Rasbora Harlequin 3 Pomacea Bridgesii and eggs unknown numbers of black tuxedo guppy

Decorative Materials: 3 pieces of Rock, 2 pieces of driftwood

Background: No background

Lightning: 4xT10, 2xT8 14 hours daily

Filtration: 400L/h external filter

Additional: DIY co2 and 200L/h internal filter for spread co2

Photo:

Click for full size image

My first planted tank is only 2 month old and not ready to show until 1 year. I will share new photos monthly. I am open to your suggestions.

Edit: Still searching shrimp but its hard to find in Turkey.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sweet tank, your discus are cool!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
Im not planning to add new plant but if i can find Hemianthus Callitrichoides.
All the longest plants are on the backside but they are still small and must wait to grow up for being a natural background.

Note: sorry for my english, i may do some mistakes but i learn it from movies. (divx rocks :D )

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I like the tank nice and simple! I would try and get a few more swords to help complete the background though, just to make it a bit faster to fill in.

Now your English is fine! I think people get waaay too worried about this:icon_smil .

Welcome!

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Nice tank YBN...first time...job well done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think i must some explanation about glossotigmas :D

My light rate is not suitable for growing glossos but i made it on purpose. Because; when the glossos getting low light they are growing upward to find more light and this kind of growing is faster than horizantal growing. After 10 or 15 cm growing it will make roots on every leaf node, when it have roots on every leaf node it will be heavier than first shape than roots catch the floor and pull down the plant.

My co2 rate is very low for my tank (1 buble every 3 seconds). I must do that because when i use more co2 there will be an alg problem. I cant use anti alg things because this kind of stuff kills all kind of algs and i have 20 otocinclus (maybe plus baby otocincluses) to feed :D

Glossotigma is hard to grow kind of plant, when planting glossos, it make roots after 2 weeks or 1 month. So must be patient. When ur first time planting, use seachem fluorish, or fluorish excel because they dont have roots and must feed with their leafs. After 1 or 2 months seachem fluorish tabs are best fertilizer. (at same time u can use liquid fertilizer, it helps much)

First day photo;

2 weeks after;

1 month after;

Today (2,5 months after);

Lighting is an important thing about all plants, 2700 kelvin is best for growing plants, higher kelvins seems good but make algs.
-------------------------------------------------

@ Fish_Newb

My background is empty and it dont seem well. (i know :D ) But there are 30 roots of lobelia cardinalis on back side but they are still small, if they dont grow up well after 3 or 4 months, i will get more swords. thanks for your suggestion.

@ Medmarine2
U know there are a lot of people who interests freshwater aquariums in turkey, but most of dunno foreing language and they only share their tanks in turkish forums.

In this hobby, there naturally lucky born people here, like from china, hong-kong, taiwan, singapore etc. They are lucky because they can find anything from nature (one of my friend lives in taiwan and he catch his halfbeaks in nature, but i cant find to buy this kind of fish in turkey :D ) But yes, there are a lot of people in turkey who interests aquarium, but they dont write on international forums.
And wanna see ur tank/s in this forum ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
the glosso looks awesome grown that way in such a big aquarium.
it almost looks just like it would as a foreground plant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts