1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tanks Specs
Tank: Aqueon 20 Gallon Long - 30.3" x 12.5" x 12.8" Black Trim
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED
Stand: Ikea "Brusali" Cabinet with doors.
Filtration: Eheim 2217
CO2: Compressed CO2 with in-line ISTA CO2 reactor
Substrate: Fluorite/Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum
Water:
RO with Seachem Equilibrium
Wood: Malaysian
Rock: Ohko Stone
Heater: 300W Fishguards submersable

Just starting out. I've been reading thread after thread and watching youtube videos galore. Time to take the plunge. Any comments or advice is welcomed. I'm not sure about the hardscape. What do you think? Not sure about what to plant in here either.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Are there only two pieces of wood?

I would switch the two pieces around.
Lean the top of the right side piece against the left side glass. Plant bolbitis or java ferns of the thick, unattractive stumpy part of the wood, which would be in the middle of the tank.
Then I'd play around with the left wood to fit it to complement the overall arrangement.

Make sure there is planting space for background stems. The back should be mostly clear of hardscape. Perhaps a green variety Rotala rotundifolia ("green" or "ceylon") would be a good choice for the bacground plant.

The stones should not be arranged until the wood has been aesthetically arranged. It could be used as support pieces to smooth the transition from substrate to wood.

https://youtu.be/i0ZVhi9IAOY
Here's Amano's layout seminar challenge using ugly pieces of wood. Participants were to choose 7 ugly pieces and Amano would try to arrange them as best he could. This should help give you some ideas for the form of what you're trying to achieve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts