The Planted Tank Forum banner
381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,846 Posts
If I could add just a little to Greggs comment about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Dennis's first picture shows an amazing piece of Chinese landscape. If one spent their entire life around such beauty, then I could certainly understand wanting to re-create that beauty...

For thouse of us whe grew up in the midwestern states of the United States, our scenery is not exactly what I would call "stunning".

I really do like what Dennis has created in his living room. Would I like to give it a try someday? Absolutely. But for now I think I will continue learning to be a good farmer :nerd:

Welcome to Iowa

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think @Xiaozhuang is describing the hobby dynamics in SE Asia, and not projecting his own values.

He is nice enough to document and share many aquarium strategies.

I do think people might have different attitudes about nature based on living in the woods, the mountains, the plains, the desert, the river, the coast, the suburbs, the village, the city, etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
707 Posts
And I get the comments on Dutch/Farm tanks. Heck, I am no artist. I am not trying to create anything with deep meaning. I just love growing plants and creating a presentation this is pleasing to my eye. If that means I am using cheap gimmicks of color and novelty.....then I am guilty as charged!:grin2:

The thing is to though, you aren't just growing plants in your display tank, and you do care about what is pleasing to the eye, it isn't just a plant farming tank. It isn't just cheap gimmicks of color and novelty and you have created a beautiful aquascape which requires a constant diligence and dedication, however artificial looking it might be. There are also rules and aesthetic considerations to the 'Dutch' style and formal Dutch style of aquascaping as well.

The difference is to the 'Dutch' aquascaper the priority appears to be is balancing different varieties of healthy and rare plants and colors, whereas Diorama style aquascapes the focus is on creating a beautiful and realistic looking natural scenes, using natural materials including hardscape and plants.

It isn't easy to duplicate at a high level the Dutch style or the Diorama style, but I would say the level of skill required to get to the top level of Diorama style and to be winning AGA contests is much more competitive and difficult and requires far greater talent than the equivalent in the Dutch style.

I have neither the talent nor motivation anymore to put the time into my tank to get it up to such lofty standards but I can appreciate those who do in either style.

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,846 Posts
@Xiaozhuang - always impressed by the level of color you are able to achieve within your tanks.
I have tried pushing PAR higher in one of my tanks but plant health generally seems to suffer which leads to algae growth which leads me back to where my tank seems comfortable.
Your various pics serve as an inspiration to many of us.
Thank-you

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Probably the last update for this thread - all other updates will be on my personal site/instagram/FB all of which are easy enough to find. This site requires me (or people from my region?) to do a captcha every single time I log in and I'm not up for that.

Some stuff I've been growing for the past months/year

Hygrophila sp Chai patch has propagated - patch grown from a single stalk couple years back

Ghost has grown in well in new farm tank:

Buceps in high PAR; under water correction factor for this meter model is 1.31; so around 290 PAR for these

Overview of new farm tank

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Top view of farm tank:

Low tech project

Another simple Iwagumi, Rotala blood red at background

Some new species: Rotala blood red - doesn't require nitrate limitation to be very red

Bacopa salzmannii - this variant is particularly purple:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Close ups of Rotala macrandra mini type 4 'green' under higher light:

Cabomba furcata:

Didiplis diandra compound pic:

Rotala macrandra variegated:

Proserpinaca palustris:

Good day folks. A lot of the growing information for these species can be found on my main website 2hr aquarist

381 - 391 of 391 Posts