The Planted Tank Forum banner

201 - 220 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Went to Chicago for a short holiday and entered & won first place in the aquascaping competition (large tank) at Chicago Aquatic Experience ~ Had a great time meeting friends from the other side of the pond.

The tank the team did in AE. Interestingly, we only worked out the hardscape composition the night before. The many smaller details and blending of moss/rock/sand gave us the edge I think

Came back to a somewhat over-grown moss tank; some proposed changes I plan to do as well

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Awesome! How do you prevent your mosses, mini pellia, and fissidens from mixing?
thanks man... by tediously manually pruning them patch by patch. It takes a bit of time, but mosses don't grow that fast so it's still alright

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)
Dennis, are you running just a single BML fixture high above this tank?
yes, I'm running this custom spectrum BML fixture about 40 inches off front substrate. It's a narrow bean lens angle (45 degrees) so very little light is lost from cast off. By far my favourite lighting setup nowadays - narrow beam fixture hung high

Working on a new layout as well... haven't settled on the front left and back areas yet

Transitioned into this:

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
how does your OP not have anymore likes??? this is aquascaping Gold!
Have you entered any contests? and as for your sixty five gallon sieryu tank (and all of your tanks), Stunning and tremendous job. Im looking to use dark (think its called) sieryu stone in my dutch scape coming up. Giving a hill effect, but not as dramatic as that.
Anyway lovely tank(s)
Good trimming!
Nate

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I recently bought 2 10000k planted BMLS off of craigslist, and they are AMAZING. both at 40%, yet I am pushing over 100 PAR. What sucks is that I cant figure out the beam angle.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I read the 45 degree beam angle comment but even still that's really high up. Clearly it works I'm just surprised it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, rotala rotundifolia is one of the plants that gets redder with lower nitrates. Many other red plants don't particularly do this, but it's very consistent for RR, (or have very high lighting works as well)....

201 - 220 of 387 Posts