The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, last night I went to AFA and boy, I was amazed.Their tanks there are so nice, I wanted one myself. So I bought a Do!aqua mini-m (which I didn't expect at all), some glosso, some blyxa japonica, and some rocks(man, that costed me an arm and a leg, but I thought it was well worth it). I've been waiting for yesterday for a long time.

Tank
Do!aqua Mini-m (same size as ADA Mini-m but almost twice as cheap)

Lighting
27 watt Hampton Bay Lights

Substrate
Aquasoil Amazonia

Filter
Aquaclear 20

CO2
DIY, and might dose excel (Will change to pressurized in December(Bday gift from parents))

Fertilizers
Gonna start EI dosing soon
This is my schedule for now.
Sunday
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/64 tsp KH2PO4
1/64 tsp K2SO4
Monday
1/64 tsp CSM+B
Tuesday
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/64 tsp KH2PO4
1/64 tsp K2SO4
Wednesday
1/64 tsp CSM+B
Thursday
1/16 tsp KNO3
1/64 tsp KH2PO4
1/64 tsp K2SO4
Friday
1/64 tsp CSM+B
Saturday
Do 50% water change.

Flora
Glossotigma elatinoides
Blyxa Japonica(gonna get 5 more)
Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Cryptocoryne Hudoroi
Cryptocoryne Parva
Eriocaulon Aquaticum (might be too big for my set-up)
Ludwigia Repens
Rotala rotundifolia
Others I don't know

Fauna

Betta
6 Corydora Pygmaeus
1 Otocinclus sp.

Right now, the water is still cloudy even though i set it up last night. What should I do?

Thanks for looking!

Here are the pictures

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Good start! I am no planted aquarium genius, but I bet It will look pretty good in a month or two.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Hopefully the glosso stays on the ground and not become tall.
I'm going to buy Excel later today so I could dose that with my DIY CO2

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
It's looking good, those are really nice rocks, but I don't think you need all five. You could probably take the front two right rocks out, and move the back right rock forward a little and it would look even better.

People keep shrimp in open tanks all the time with no problems with jumping, you just need to cycle the tank very well before you add them.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Or you could take the front two right rocks out, rotate the front left rock 180 degrees and put it in front of the two back rocks (in the middle of the tank) and shift the whole scape to the left some. That might look pretty nice IMO. Good start.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing this tank progress:)

Just out of curiosity, how much do the Do!Aqua Mini-M's cost? They're not listed in the website, and I haven't been to the AFA store in a while:(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's looking good, those are really nice rocks, but I don't think you need all five. You could probably take the front two right rocks out, and move the back right rock forward a little and it would look even better.

People keep shrimp in open tanks all the time with no problems with jumping, you just need to cycle the tank very well before you add them.
Thanks!

I might take the 2 rocks out on Sunday next week.

Or you could take the front two right rocks out, rotate the front left rock 180 degrees and put it in front of the two back rocks (in the middle of the tank) and shift the whole scape to the left some. That might look pretty nice IMO. Good start.
Thanks for the idea, I might do that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this tank progress:)

Just out of curiosity, how much do the Do!Aqua Mini-M's cost? They're not listed in the website, and I haven't been to the AFA store in a while:(
They were $45. They are so much cheaper than the freakin ADA brand lol.

I have a question. Would the Glosso that's floating survive for a week?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol yeah, cheaper by $25.

But can you believe that ADA sells scissors for more than $45?:eek:
The scissors' as much as my tank alone... lol :hihi:

I think I'll wait until my glosso roots up before I rescape the tank since I don't want to bother the roots of the glosso, it was a pain to plant the glosso.(took close to 2 hrs)

Any other plant suggestion???

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question, since I don't have my diffuser yet(it's in the mail), is it ok if the co2 bubbles go through the intake of my aquaclear filter?

Thanks!
Sorry for the double-post

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you want, you could use a chopstick as a diffuser until you get the real thing. it does a decent job diffusing the co2 bubbles but a diffuser would be better.
btw, great tank!

I've always wanted Eleocharis sp. Belem. did you get it from a LFS or bought it online?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you want, you could use a chopstick as a diffuser until you get the real thing. it does a decent job diffusing the co2 bubbles but a diffuser would be better.
btw, great tank!

I've always wanted Eleocharis sp. Belem. did you get it from a LFS or bought it online?
I'm using a glass crystal air stone thing, so it's making small enough bubbles I think. Then I'm going to make another bottle of yeast mix for the other diffuser on the other side of the tank.

Actually, the eleocharis sp. belem was given to me as a freebie by a friend near my place. If I totally fail on the glosso, I'm gonna switch over to all eleocharis sp. Belem.

Looking good! I suggest removing the carbon bag from your filter as the carbon will likely absorb the things that your plants need.
Thanks! I'm only putting that for a few days to clear the whole tank up. So tomorrow, I'm going to take it off, no time right now(homework :( ).

Something bad happened earlier :(. When I got home from church, I found the camcorder/camera on the floor. My dog had dropped it!!!!! Stupid me for leaving it close to my dog's reach. So the lense is broken... Half of the picture looks blurry and half looks fine. Does anyone know where I could get it fixed??? My parents spent a lot on it, but it's about 3-4 yrs old...

So the update pictures are going to half suck for a while... :frown:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Fantastic! If all goes well, this tank will look really nice in a couple months. Actually let me rephrase. It already looks really nice. I will look freakin' sweet in a couple months. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys! I really hope I'm successful with glosso since I really love the plant!!!

So here are some pictures.. The water has cleared up by a lot!!! But the water isn't crystal clear. Hopefully it clears up 100% soon. :)
Sorry my camera broke, so I'd have to live with it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking good, I have a suggestion about the camera. if you turned it on its side, and zoomed out all the way then crop and flip the picture. that might work.

Growing in nicely, good work.

Looking good! I suggest removing the carbon bag from your filter as the carbon will likely absorb the things that your plants need.
I never knew that...thank you for letting me know, I'll be sure to take it out of my filter! :proud:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts